~Chapter 35~

Titus opens the closet door and stares at me. "What're you doing? Mom's looking for you."

I whisper, "Don't give me away." I grab and pull him into the closet. I close the doors and sigh. "I overheard mom talking to a witch the other day. She said she's going to get rid of Henry. She said he's been bossing me around and making me into something she doesn't want me to be. She thinks I'm growing up too fast, but I've just been doing what you told me to do."

Titus hums, "Yeah, that sucks. If she gets rid of your wolf that means I'll be the Alpha." His eyes glow up shortly, but he turns his head.

"I don't care about being Alpha, Titus. I just don't want them to take Henry away from me."

"Tyler!" The closet doors swing open and father stares at me. "I've called you countless times!"

"No, Dad, stop!" He grabs my arm and pulls me out the closet. "Titus, help!" I wiggle in his grip, but Titus does nothing but stares at me with a slight smirk on his face.

~•••~

I wake up, chest heaving and heart pounding. I catch my breath and look over at Nicole. She still sleeps peacefully, and I get out of bed. Today is the day Titus is going to be buried. I wipe my eyes and stretch. It's going to be a long day. It's a lot darker outside and the laughter of children outside is no longer there. Everyone in the house is at their peak of silence for the burial of their fallen alpha.

"Ty? You're awake?" Nicole yawns. I mess up her hair and force a grin.

"I like getting up early. I have paperwork to do and-"

She gives me a sharp look, "No, Ty. Not today."

I furrow my eyebrows, "Why not?"

"It's Titus'... it's his funeral. You don't need to be doing work-" Nicole is cut off by the sound of cars pulling up to the front of the house.

"Sounds like your brothers are here. I'm going to greet them and I'll be back up in a hurry." I kiss her cheek.

She looks unsatisfied but still doesn't protest as I leave the room. I roll up the sleeves of my shirt and fix my hair a bit. Nick and Cole are here to mourn my brother. The door opens just as I reach the bottom and I clear my throat. "Uh, w-welcome," I state awkwardly.

"Hey, man," Cole gives me a weird smile with sorrow in his eyes and Nick surveys the room.

"Nice place. It doesn't look familiar at all," comments Nick.

"Thanks. At this hour everyone is getting ready and stuff. It'll be a walk to the ceremony."

They nod, "We'll just make ourselves at home."

I nod and hurry back upstairs with sweat pouring down my face. It's difficult for me to keep it together, but I try to do it for Nicole and my pack. My grandmother is pulling herself together to go to the funeral as well. I know the death of her grandson has scarred her. I sigh and open the door to my room. The shower is running and the bed is empty but made up and Nicole's dress is on top. I study the room a little more then proceed to the closet to take out my suit. It's funny how many suits are stocked in the closet. I can't imagine Titus wearing anything this nice every day. He hated suits. I laugh a little and look at the frames on the desk. There's childhood pictures -- both Nicole and mine.

It's hard to believe these memories that are suddenly popping up, but everything is finally starting to make sense to me. I wasn't born without a wolf, rather, it was taken from me by my own family, and it all started when I got my wolf at a young age and Titus brainwashed me into doing and saying things out of character around my parents, so they assumed it was my wolf that was making me act the way I did. I still don't understand why Titus would keep that from me if my wolf was taken away -- it still doesn't piece together completely, but it's making it harder and harder for me to forgive Titus for what he did.