Chapter 49: 57 Days Before

"Listeners, this brings us to the end of another Potterwatch. We don't know when we will be able to broadcast again, but we will be back. The next password will be 'Prewett.' Be safe out there. Be hopeful. And keep fighting. This has been Rapier. Goodnight." Fred muttered the charm to end his broadcast, and sat back in his seat, wiping a hand over his face.

Lee Jordan stood up and paced the length of the room twice before muttering something about needing some air and disappearing up the staircase.

Addie leaned forward and placed a comforting hand on Fred's knee. She had come along to his Potterwatch broadcasts a few times now, and each time, he ended like this: absolutely exhausted.

The broadcasts were sent out at a different location each time, in case Death Eaters tried to track them. This time they were tucked into the basement of an abandoned house in downtown London. Its dirt floor and cement walls gave little warmth, and the only light was from the tip of their wands. Addie had glanced at the staircase every few minutes, expecting someone to come racing down, trapping them here.

But they had made it through, and once again, it seemed they were safe. Much safer than others.

Fred sighed and covered Addie's hand with his own. "Dad knew Octavius Pepper," he said. "They went to Hogwarts together." Fred had just reported that his disappearance was no longer a mystery: he had turned up dead yesterday. "And now Xavier Stein has gone missing. He was just an innocent old man...he had grandchildren."

"You don't need to keep doing this," Addie said for the hundredth time. She knew what answer she would get. It was always the same.

"I need to do this," he said. "Everyone deserves to know."

Addie nodded. She knew he would never give up, and she knew that if he did, it would be a great loss to those still fighting. Their broadcasts brought hope that others were out there, that others were willing to fight. But it also brought the news of deaths, and disappearances, and the brutal actions of the Death Eaters.

And it was taking its toll on Fred. In the past month, Addie could see the physical changes it had caused. He hadn't been sleeping, and the deep purple bags under his eyes had become permanent. His typical laughing demeanor had slowly slipped away, and so had the rest of him. He hadn't been eating, and his lanky figure had grown alarmingly thin.

"I brought you some food," Addie said, reaching into her bag and pulling out the sandwich she had made him earlier that day.

Fred looked at the food and frowned. "I'm not hungry."

"Eat." Addie pushed the food towards him. He looked up and met her steady glare. They stared at each other, a silent battle of will. Addie's glare didn't waver for a second, and Fred eventually gave up and unwrapped the food with a look of disgust. Each bite seemed to be a struggle for him.

She sat there and watched until the sandwich was gone.

"You look like you need sleep, too."

"I'll sleep later," he said. "I'm supposed to go with George to talk with Xavier's grandkids. Apparently Xavier dropped them off with Dirk before he disappeared."

"I'll go," Addie said. "You go home and sleep. I wanted to go see Dirk anyway."

Fred shook his head. "I want to go. I'll be okay."

"Yes, you will," she said. "Because you will be sleeping soundly in your own bed." Addie raised her eyebrow, silently daring him to argue with her.

He didn't dare.

****

Dirk was waiting for her and George at the entrance, his wand in hand, looking ready for a fight. He tensed as the two of them appeared between the trees, his wand arm swinging to point at them. Upon seeing who they were, he deflated, his wand arm lowering. "Sorry about that. There's been three different sightings of Death Eaters in the area," he explained.