Chapter 50: 31 Days Before

"Fred?" Addie whispered, giving him a little shake. "Fred?"

Fred let out a small groan and mumbled something incoherent before turning over and snoring loudly. Addie sighed and tried again. "Fred?"

"Wha?" he mumbled, waking up enough to turn towards where she lay on the other side of the bed. "What time is it?" His eyes stayed closed.

"It's just after six," Addie replied.

"In the morning?"

"Yes." He cracked his eyes open, looking at her in absolute disbelief that she would wake him up so early. "You need to go back to your room before your mum wakes up."

He grumbled something under his breath before sighing and sitting up. He was about to get off the bed when Addie reached out an arm to stop him. "Before you go, there's something I wanted to talk to you about." Something in her voice must have alarmed Fred, because he sat back down with a plop, turning to her. His eyebrows were furrowed in concern.

"What is it? Is everything okay?"

"Well, that depends on how you look at it," she said, offering him a hesitant smile. "I'm not hurt, or anything. But lately, I haven't been feeling very good."

"You're sick?"

"I've threw up yesterday," she said. "And the day before."

"Do you need to go to St. Mungo's?" Fred asked, sitting up straighter. "I can take you. We can go right now."

"No, I don't need a Healer," Addie said. "I'm not sick."

"What...what is it then?"

"Fred..." Addie hesitated, taking a large breath. "I'm pregnant."

Fred's eyes grew wide and he fell into a stunned silence. Addie could see his mind working, trying to comprehend her words. "How..." He shook his head and tried again. "I mean, we used all the right charms, we were so safe."

"I know," Addie said. "But sometimes these things happen. What are we going to do, Fred?"

"Oh, Addie." He pulled her to him, holding her tight. "This is...I'm just in shock. But we'll be okay."

"How?"

"We will be. I know this is a surprise, and it'll be an adjustment, but we'll be okay. You're an amazing woman and you'll be an amazing mother. And I'll be by your side the entire time." But even as he said the words, he was breathing heavily, as if each breath required effort. Addie was worried he might start hyperventilating.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah...I'm just...wow. I'm just..."

"Fred...Fred, calm down. There's something else."

He shook his head. "What else?" he asked, looking like any more news might be the death of him.

Addie smiled, and she couldn't keep it in anymore. She started laughing.

Fred only grew more concerned. "What is it?"

"April Fools."

He stared at her for a long time. The words didn't seem to calm him. If anything, his breathing only quickened.

"Fred?" she asked, growing concerned now. She was worried she'd broke him.

"Wh-wh...you...you mean," he sputtered. "So...you're not...?"

"No," Addie said, laughing nervously. "I'm not."

Fred let out a deep breath. "You've got to be kidding."