The Cut

"Why did you follow me out of class?" He asks, still gazing at the starry sky. It doesn't sound like a question but more like a thought. His calm, self paced way of speaking does not seem to change even when questioning.

I take a deep breath, 

"I followed you because I wanted to." 

This time instead of looking up at the sky, I lay sideways, getting a clear view of his side profile.

He takes his time answering. For a minute, I believe he hasn't heard me. Should I leave?

"That girl, I found her doing something dangerous." He whispers. 

"You don't need to explain to me." I blurt out, fidgeting with the sleeves of my sweater.
The canoe sways abruptly. He isn't staring at the sky anymore.

"I don't know why, but I want to," 

Black orbs that demand of my attention, pin me into a trance like state. Eyes that demand raw candor and nothing less.

"When I found her, she held a razor to her wrist," He takes a breath and closes his eyes for a second, thickly-lined lashes that urge me to .... to .... My hand raises itself slowly, reaching for something they shouldn't be reaching for.

  Stop  

"I managed to get to her before she began, I thought it was the first time for her but she showed me her wrists and there were countless thin markings, signs of her tough battles." He adds.

"I didn't know. I'm sorry" I say apologetically.

"It's a good thing that you did what you did." He murmurs more to himself.

My heart beat quickens

"I answered your question, now it's my turn." Finally gaining some of my confidence back.

Silence

"Why did you bring me here?" A question that was on my mind ever since he first texted me today, my palms get sweaty in anticipation.

His eyes grow darker, his lips part slightly and I can see for once that I am not the only one that is nervous.

That cloudy haze over his dark orbs return and I know then that he is ready

"Because ... I wanted you to." 

It isn't enough to satisfy my curiosity but at the same time it is more than enough.

We remain in silence for the next couple of minutes. Thousands of thoughts running through my mind.

"Do you believe that there's a God out there." He asks, returning his gaze to the sky. I let out a deep breath and do the same.

"My parents aren't religious, but I always believed someone was out there looking out for me, I just don't know who." I confess, that's the thing about Elyas. Honesty comes naturally to me when I'm within his presence.

"Why do you think that?" He further questions me.

"I don't really know, maybe because when I'm under a lot of stress or when I think the world is crashing down upon me, the only thing that humans have left to depend is someone or something that is beyond their imagination is still watching over them. Maybe that's what keeps us sane." Embarrassed, I notice that I blabbered on and  glance at Elyas, hoping he dozed off.

He was already staring at me

I cover my face, embarrassed.

I feel fingers slowly tugging at my wrist