Chapter 14

Aisha P.O.V
It had been a few months since our wedding, and things seemed to finally be getting into routine. I would go to work with Uthman, and usually that wasn't really working. I just scrolled through memes online, talked with Uthman, texted people, and a bunch of other random stuff. Although this was all true, I always made sure to work on designs. So far, I had been working on a design for a dress. I knew it was a bit excessive, but I was enjoying it so much.

Contrary to what Uthman promised, he didn't get serious about prayer or not drinking wine, and as a result of this, he and I got into arguments all the time. I wanted to give up trying to help him with those things, but I felt the need to.

Uthman had been a bit annoying lately. He would come home and instantly he'd become moody, grumpy, and downright rude to me. I hated having to feel like I wasn't important, but he was tired and I tried to justify the insults and curt remarks, but it was proving to be difficult.

Some days, he got too severe with his anger. Other days, he was happy and lovey-dovey. I didn't know what to expect anymore. I stopped really caring about being romantic with him. I just didn't care anymore.

That night, I was sitting on my computer, searching up pictures of beaches just for no reason, when Uthman came into the study. He looked drunk. He stumbled in, hazed and unsure.

"What are you doing?" His speech was slurred too. I had told that idiot to quit drinking.

"Nothing," I closed the computer. The stench of alcohol was too much.

"Mmhm, that's real nice," he narrowed his eyes.

"Go to sleep, Uthman," I stood up and brushed past him, but he abruptly grabbed my arm and tightened his grip on it. I tried to break free, but it was a struggle to do so.

"Where do you think you're going?" He snapped, rage seemingly boiling up in him.

"Nowhere," I muttered.

"That's what I thought," Uthman let go and plopped down on one of the leather sofas in the study. He looked downright miserable. That was probably the alcohol talking.

I started for the door, but I heard Uthman crying. I turned around and saw that his face was buried in his hands, his shoulders moving up and down with each sob. I was confused, but cautious. Drunk people have no clue what they're doing.

"They say he's got five days to live. I can't get a visa. He's going to die alone," Uthman said without any explanation as to who he was talking about. I could only assume it was someone from out of the country, otherwise he wouldn't need a visa.

"The cancer's killing him slowly, was what they said. He's not suffering. He just wishes for his son. That's all he wants. My sister and brother are there with him. I'm the only one who can't go to see my dying father," Uthman added. His father? Dying? I hadn't even met the man before, but I was about to cry myself.

"Uthman? Are you okay?" I tried to reach out to him.

"Okay?!" He stood up and looked me in the eye, anger written on his face, "You call this okay?! What the hell is wrong with you?! Do you think everything is some kind of fantasy world?! Grow up, Aisha!"

I was startled by the sudden outburst. I felt tears clawing at the back of my eye as I backed away from him. I could see the rage in his eyes. The pain in the way he looked at me as I walked out of the study. I turned my back to him and sped down the hall to the bedroom. I got inside and shut the door. I let the tears spill silently. Why was he doing this to himself? Getting drunk? I sat down on the bed. The tears ceased, but the shock from the way he had yelled at me was still there. Why the sudden change from him?

I fell asleep. Uthman never came into the room.

I woke up the next morning and went to see where he was. He was downstairs in the kitchen, downing Advil. He groaned and clutched his head. I wanted to tell him that he deserved it, but I wasn't a jerk enough to do so.

"My head feels like lead," Uthman said as he looked up at me. I was still coming down the stairs. I was still a bit cautious around him.

I didn't really know how to respond, "You just need some rest."

"Why'd you leave me like that? In the study?" He asked. I was a bit surprised he still remembered that. Maybe he wasn't as drunk as I thought.

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"Why?"

"I said I don't know," I muttered.

"You know I'm in pain. The least you could do is to just be there for me!" Uthman shouted. Every word seemed to sting me.

"I know," I replied, the fear beginning to rise in my heart.

"He's going to die, and I can't do a thing about it," Uthman turned away from me.

I didn't say anything. If he wasn't so hostile, I would've given him a hug for comfort, but I was still scared.

"This sucks," he sighed, "Why won't you talk? You have a mouth don't you?"

"Why are you acting like this?" I dared to ask.

"Acting like what?" That caught his attention.

"Rude."

"I'm rude? Me, of all people, rude?" I could tell he was proper pissed now.

"No. I take that back," I trembled with fear as he approached me.

"Good. That's what I thought," he narrowed his eyes to slits at me.

I wanted to cry. Honestly.

"I just want to know why you're being so aggressive to me," I instantly regretted that.

"I'm not being aggressive," he replied.

"Well-"

"So I'm rude, hu? Me?" Uthman tapped his fingers on the kitchen island.

"No, I mean, well, you've been acting that way," I whispered, my voice trembling with fear.

And then I felt a cold palm swipe across my face. It took me a minute to realize what had just happened.

He had slapped me.

On reaction, I cupped my cheek, feeling the sting of it still there. I felt like screaming, crying, anything. I backed away from him until I hit into the wall.

"Aisha? Oh my God, I'm so sorry," Uthman approached me.

"No, get away! Don't come near me!" I screamed at him.

"Aisha, I'm sorry. I'm so horribly sorry! I didn't mean it!" Uthman ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"Don't talk to me! Don't even think about looking at me!" I shouted, a wave of panic washing over my body. In a moment of fear, i grabbed my keys, a scarf, and ran out to the car. Uthman chased after me, pleading with me, but I wouldn't have any of it. I got into the car and drove off. I just left him there, begging for me to stop.

I stopped at a red light, and the tears came right back. I cried so hard. My chest felt like it was being stabbed. I began to drive again when the light turned green, my tears clouding my vision. How could he hit me? How could he?! Who did he think he was?!

Then, out of nowhere, I heard a horrible smashing sound, and glass flew everywhere. The car flipped over and over, sending me hitting the roof dozens of times. Glass bit into my skin, and metal attacked me from all directions. I let out a scream as the car flipped over one last time. Then, everything went black.

Hey guys! I know this Isa shorter chapter, but I have more chapters coming! I'm so excited to keep writing this!

I know that the sudden change in Uthman is weird, but I didn't want to make this a typical story. It may be a bit cliché, but oh well.

Anyways, keep reading and voting. Enjoy your Ramadan everyone!