Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I was sitting on top of the kitchen counter whilst looking down at the phone placed in my palms. I needed to call Nana- my neighbor who insisted upon me to call her that. She's a sweet old lady. She had been there for me a lot over the past year and I've come to grow extremely close with her. She reminded me of my Grandma who passed away from cancer many years ago.

I checked the time on the kitchen wall, watching as the clock ticked till it reached midnight. I placed the phone back on the counter, deciding that it was not the appropriate time to call to check up on Tommy. He was in the care of a woman I trusted. I had nothing to worry about. 

I jumped off the kitchen counter and made my way to my bedroom. I walked past the living room and up the stairs. I thought how if anyone were to come in, they would think it was an ordinary house with the cream coloured walls and the classy furniture. They would have thought a happy; loving family lived in here with the big family portraits placed on the walls at the perfect angle.

I opened the door to my bedroom and came to the sight of cream walls with plum petals featured all around. There was a large pile of papers scattered across my desk needing to be finished for tomorrow but I just didn't have the energy to complete them. My eyes were closing on their own accord so I quickly changed my clothes, brushed my teeth and made my way to my double bed. It looked so inviting and cosy.

Slipping under the duvet, I snuggled in tight with only one person on my mind- those green eyes never leaving my thoughts as I fell into a blissful sleep.

*

Beep. Beep. Beep…

My hand was reaching for the annoying alarm clock that was ringing way too soon for my liking. Its loud buzzing was waking me up from my deep slumber, much to my annoyance.

Once my hand finally reached the button to turn the alarm off, I got up groggily from my bed, stretching as I let out a little yawn. Opening the curtains to allow some sunshine through, I was greeted with the typical British weather with raindrops plummeting down my window. The dark grey clouds covered the usual bright blue sky, blocking out the warm rays of the sun.

I let out a quiet sigh as I made my way towards the bathroom to take a quick shower. I quickly got dressed throwing on some fitted trousers, a floral top with a blazer to give a casual smart look. I didn’t really care about makeup and hair nor did I have the energy to worry about it. I slipped on a pair of black shoes and looked at my right hand to see the small diamond ring still on my middle finger, as always.

I walked past my mirror but then walked back as I caught a glance of my appearance. I looked like a complete mess with my hair crazily tangled. There were dark circles under my eyes at the lack of sleep I've been getting lately. That didn't help much either and as my dull eyes stared back emotionlessly, I felt hollow.

I went to school like this all the time but for some reason I didn't want to look this bad for the first time. For some reason I wanted to brush my hair and tie it up neatly, leaving my side fringe out. For some strange reason I wanted to add a bit off gloss to my lips, just to give me a bit of life.

And so I did.

Although it wasn't an extremely huge effort, neither was it such a big deal but it made me smile, a real smile that I hardly let out, something that felt foreign to me. It was a sad attempt but there was nothing wrong with trying. 

Why did I care how I looked now? I wondered.

'Drake' my inner voice spoke.

"Drake," I whispered.