7

"Hello, my beautiful best friend!" Emma exclaims as I shut my locker.

I raise my eyebrows. "Hi," I reply.

"You know, you seem to have a lot of stress on yo-"

"What do you want?" I ask, studying her twiddling thumbs. She only does that when she wants something.

Emma bites her lip. "There's this party tonight, and I wanted you to go."

"No," I reply automatically. I haven't been to a party in about two years, and that was the last one I ever went to.

"C'mon, Braelyn, please?" she pouts, grabbing my arm.

I shake my head. "I don't like parties, Emma. You know that."

"Jared's not here anymore, Brae," is all she says.

I look at her, and she puts on her puppy dog eyes. "Don't do the puppy eyes thing," I beg.

She sticks her bottom lip out. "Pretty please?" she asks, clasping her hands together.

I groan. "Fine," I say.

"I'll drop you off at your house then come back an hour later to get you ready," Emma says.

I open my mouth to speak, but she walks away before I have time to speak.
××××××
I lay under the tree with a book in my hands. Emma chats with Marcus about the party, and Xavier is sketching. Emma nudges me, causing my book to fall out of my hands. "Hey!" I exclaim.

"Hey, Braelyn," I hear Ridge say.

I look up and roll my eyes. "Oh, it's you," I say, picking up my book.

He grins. "Is that anyway to greet a friend?"

"Gee, I don't see a friend," I say.

Ridge rolls his eyes. "C'mon," he says, giving me his million dollar smile.

He's so hot, I think.

Then, I mentally slap myself, and I roll my eyes. "Hi, Ridge, how are you?"

"I'm good. Say, are you going to Stormy's party tonight?" he asks.

I nod. "Unfortunately," I reply.

He frowns. "Why so sour about it?" he asks.

"I don't like parties," I simply say.

"Well, I have a feeling you will after tonight," he says then winks. Before I can reply, he turns and walks away.

"'Well, I have a feeling you will after tonight.' Who does he think he is?" Xavier mocks.

"He's Ridge McCain," Emma says, leaning back on Marcus. He wraps his arms around her middle then kisses her head.

"Gag me," I say, staring at them.

Emma rolls her eyes. "You seriously need a boyfriend," she says.

"Your PDA is disgusting," I tease.

"Yeah, right," Marcus replies.

I grab my book and stand up just as the bell rings. "Well, I have a class to get to," I say.

"A class with Ridge?" Emma asks hopefully.

"Nope. That's next period. I have Algebra II," I reply then pick up my book and my tray. I say goodbye to friends and make my way to the trashcan, dumping my tray into it. Then, I walk toward my class.
××××××
The ride home with Emma is normal. She talks about the party, and our game plan for tonight.