14

I round the corner, and I end up bumping into someone. "Hey, watch where you're going?!" I snap, steadying myself.

"Well, you ran into me," a familiar voice says.

I look up, and Ridge smiles down at me. My anger cools down, and I sigh, "I'm sorry."

He places a hand on my arm. "What's got you in such a bad mood?" he asks.

I shake my head. "It's just that it's only been two days since we started dating, and it's like everyone doesn't want us to."

Ridge sighs, "Braelyn, do you want to date me?"

I nod. "Yes."

"Then, what everyone else thinks doesn't matter. Okay?" Ridge asks, rubbing my arm.

I force a smile. "Okay."

He pulls me into a hug, and kisses my forehead. "Are you hungry?"

I smile, looking up at him. "Do you even have to ask?"

He kisses my lips. "I don't, but I thought I would."

"What did you have in mind?" I ask as we begin walking to the cafeteria.

Ridge pretends to think. Then, he points to the lunch sign. "Cheeseburgers with a side of flimsy fries."

"Yum," I say sarcastically.
××××××
Ridge drives me home after school, talking about the party this Saturday and how big it's supposed to be. I zone out, thinking about how I handle things with Xavier. I bite my lip, regretting what I said to him.

He is one of my best friends, and I couldn't lose him. I have never been so rude to him before. He was just being overprotective. Most friends do that, right? You know, look out for you and make sure you don't get hurt.

But Ridge wouldn't hurt me. He isn't like Jared. They are two different people, so Ridge wouldn't hurt me...would he?

Just the thought makes me want to punch myself. Ridge wouldn't hurt me. I can tell by the way he looks at me.

A hand lands on my knee, and I look up. "You okay?" Ridge asks.

I nod. "Yeah, I just...nothing."

"It's something," Ridge says, "Wanna talk about it?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm fine. Anyway, what were you saying about the party?"

He removes his hand from my knee, and he looks back at the road. "Well, I was just talking about how awesome it was going to be. Justin said that the whole school is pretty much going to be there."

I nod. "Great," I say.

Ridge looks at me. "Yeah. Are Marcus and Emma coming?" he asks.

Shurgging, I reply, "I guess. Emma loves parties."

"Do you?" He asks.

"I used to, but not as much anymore," I answer.

Ridge nods, pulling into my driveway. "We don't have to go if you don't want to, Braelyn. I don't want to force you into something you don't want to do," he says.

I unbuckle myself, shaking my head. "No, it's fine. I want to go," I say then look at him.

His eyes are trained on me. "Are you sure?" he asks.

I nod. "Yes, Ridge, I'm sure."

He studies me for a moment before leaning in to kiss me. I kiss him back before getting out. "I'll see you tomorrow," I say.

"Okay, cupcake," he says.

I roll my eyes. "Don't call me that," I say. He laughs, and I shut the door. I walk up to my door, and turn around to wave.

He winks then I walk in, shutting the door behind me. I pull out my phone and dial Xavier's number. I have to apologize.

It rings twice before he picks up. "Braelyn?" he asks.

"Yeah, it's me. Listen, Xavier, I'm so-"

"Don't apologize. You were right. I shouldn't have gotten into your business," he says.

I shake my head. "Xavier, I understand why you said what you did," I reply, walking up to my room.

"You do?" he asks hesitantly.

"Yeah, you were just looking out for me," I say, "I'd probably do the same thing for you, so I'm sorry."

He sighs, "It's fine. I'm sorry, too, Brae."

"It's fine," I say, and the doorbell rings. "Emma's here, so I have to go."

"Okay, Brae. I lo-" he cuts himself off.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing. Bye," he says then hangs up.

I furrow my eyebrows then make my way downstairs. Emma opens the door, and yells, "I have graced you with my presence!"

I roll my eyes. "More like cursed," I tease.

She glares. "You love me, so shut up."

"I would sell you to Satan for one corn chip," I say.

She rolls her eyes and slides two garbage bags out in front of her. "I brought you gifts!"

I face palm. "Great," I say sarcastically.
××××××
Two hours later we finally finish going through the clothes. I have to admit that they all are pretty cute. Especially, the black lace crop top that fell off the shoulders.

I hang it up then walk over to my bed. Emma lays down, texting someone. "Who are you texting?" I ask curiously.

"My cousin. He wants to meet you," she says.

"Which cousin?" I ask.

Emma smiles. "Damien," she replies, "You haven't met him yet."

"Emma, I have a boyfriend."

"Right," she sighs, typing something on her keyboard. "Sorry."

I laugh, "It's new to me, too, you know."

"Yeah, I know, Brae. Anyway, what do you want to do now?" she asks.

I shrug, laying back. "What do you want to do?" I ask, looking at her.

She lays beside me. "We could...I don't know."

I laugh, "Fair enough. "Are you going to the party Saturday?" I ask, changing the subject.

She nods. "Of course. Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know. I just thought I would ask and not assume," I say.

"Fair enough. What are you wearing to the party?"

"Probably that lace crop top, jeans, and those white wedges you gave me," I say automatically.

She laughs, "I have taught you well. That sounds amazing."

I smile. "Yeah," I say.

Emma leans up onto a elbow. "I have a serious question to ask you."

I nod. "Okay, ask away."

"I know you guys just started dating, but I just want to know something. Are you happy?" she asks.

I smile. "Very happy," I say.

"I'm glad."

I look away, still smiling. Ridge makes me happy. I honestly never thought I would be happy again, but Ridge came into my life and changed my mind in just a few days.

Then, I come to a sure statement.

Ridge wouldn't hurt me.