22

A week later at school I hurry to my class, rounding the corner super fast. My shoulder collides with someone else's really hard, and my books go everywhere. I groan, and I lean over to pick them up. "Sorry," I mumble as pick up the last book.

"It's fine, Braelyn," the person says, and I look up. Jared stares down at me. Ever since he's been back, I've barely notice he was here.

We stand in awkward silence for a moment then I shift. "I better get to class," I say.

"Wait," Jared says.

I turn. "Yes?"

He runs a hand through his hair. "Are you happy?" he asks, biting his lip.

"What?"

"Are you happy? You know with Ridge. Things are moving fast between you guys, and I just want to know if you're happy."

I scoff, "Why would you care?" The anger comes from out of no where. I look away.

"Braelyn, what I did was unforgivable, and I know what I did hurt you in so many ways. I've regretted what I did ever since I did it, and I'm sorry. I don't want you to get hurt again," Jared says, and I see truth behind his words within his eyes. There's so much pain in them. To much of my dismay, I hate to see him this way. I don't know why. I just hate to see him hurt.

"I won't," I say softly, turning away.

"Don't fall for him as fast as you did me, Braelyn," he says as I walk away.
××××××
Jared's words stay in my head all the way through lunch. I sit with Marcus, Emma, and Ridge, playing his words in my head. I play with my mashed potatoes, staying silent as Emma goes on about a party tonight.

I don't even realize everyone is looking at me until Ridge nudges me. I look at him. "What?" I ask.

"Are you going to the party?" Emma asks.

I look at her. "You know, I'm not really feeling it today. Maybe next time," I say.

She stares at me for a moment before nodding. "Okay, maybe next time," she says, giving me her tell-me-later look.

I force a smile before standing. "I'm going to library. I'll catch up with you guys later."

"Wait, do you want me to come with you?" Ridge asks.

I shake my head. "No, that's okay. I have some homework to catch up on," I say then walk away before he could reply.

I don't go to the library. Instead, I go to the football stadium. Taking a seat at the top, I stare out at the empty field. It's peaceful here, I have to admit. I lean back, and flashbacks flood my mind.

I shut my eyes really tight, praying for the to go away. They were all of the flashbacks of every day I spent with Jared. I try not to cry, and I succeed. Then, Jared's words flood into my mind.

Don't fall for him as fast as you did me.

I open my eyes to find Ridge staring at me. "Hi," I say.

"How'd I know you'd be here? What's wrong?" he asks.

I look away. "Jared said something to me that makes me want to ask you something."

Ridge sits beside me. "Okay, ask me," he replies.

I look at him, biting my lip. I don't know if I should. Will this be doing the right thing?

"Braelyn?"

"Can we take things a little slower?"

Ridge nods. "Of course. What did Jared say to you that made you ask me, if you don't mind me asking?"

I look at the football field. "Did I ever tell you what happened between Jared and me?"

"No, but someone told me that he cheated on you."

I nod. "Yeah, with Wren Larson, of all people. He did more than that; he humiliated me in front of everyone at the party," I say, blinking back tears, "I remember thinking 'This wasn't the boy I fell in love with.'"

I look at Ridge. "I fell in love with him in about a month. That's my fatal flaw. I fall in love too easily, Ridge, and Jared told me not to fall for you as fast as I did him. Now, I may be crazy for listening to him, but what he told me has stuck with me the entire day."

"I don't want to fall in love with you quickly because I don't know if you're here to stay yet. That's why I want to take it slow. I don't want to repeat my mistake, Ridge."

Ridge nods. "I understand, Braelyn. We'll take it slow, but I just want you to know that I'm here to stay. I'm not leaving anytime soon. I promise."

I smile at him. "Thank you, Ridge. You don't know what that means to me."

He smiles. "I think I do." He stands up, holding out his hand. "We better get to class before we're late."

I take it and stand just as the bell rings. "We're already late. The bell just rang."

Ridge nods. "Yeah, I see that now. Oh, the family barbeque is this Sunday," he says, changing the subject.

"Okay, what time?"

"Noon," he says as we walk down the steps.

I nod. "Okay, I'll be ready," I say as we reach the bottom.

Ridge pauses. "Braelyn, I meant what I said up there. I'm not leaving anytime soon."

I nod. "I know, Ridge. I know."