28

It's three days before I see Xavier again. The encounter a few days ago left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and I wanted to apologize because if anyone didn't deserve what happened, it would be Xaier. I spot him as I pass the art room on my way to meet Ridge in the library. Nervously, I tap on the rectangular glass. He looks up, and his relaxed posture he had a minute ago turns rigid.

I smile a small smile and point to the door. All of the classroom doors are locked from the outside, so I couldn't let myself in. Xavier looks at the knob hesitantly then sighs, making his chest deflate.

He walks over to the door and opens it then walks back. I grab the door quickly before it can shut on me. "What do you want, Braelyn?" he asks, walking back to his table. He shut his sketchbook quickly.

"To apologize."

"For what?" he shrugs, placing his thing into his bag.

I place a hand on my hip. "You know what."

Xavier doesn't meet my eyes. "There's nothing to apologize form. I've been rejected by girls plenty of times. You're not any different from them."

I flinch, and that's when he looks at me. I hug myself. "Xavier, I'm sorry that I hurt you, but I really want to be friends. I can't handle thi-"

That's when he blows his top. "You can't handle this? Really, Braelyn? We both know you can handle this, so stop acting like you can't. It's like you want people to feel sorry for you! Just because you went through a bad breakup doesn't mean that you're this fragile little child! It happens to everyone, so get over it! You have no idea what I'm going through, so stop acting like you do!"

My bottom lip begins to quiver. He lets out a frustrated noise, and he places his hands against his head. I bite my lip. I refuse to cry.

"I can't be friends with you, Braelyn, because I-"

"Don't say it!" I yell. "You can't say that after sitting there insulting me!"

Xavier looks at me, and his eyes soften. Then, he walks toward the door and opens it. "Please, just leave, Braelyn," he whispers.

"Gladly," I snap then walk out. Then, I turn around. "I may not be any different from other girls, but you're not any different from other guys either. You all sure know how to hurt a girl."

That's when I turn back around and make my way toward the school doors. I don't cry one bit as I begin to walk home. I send a text to Ridge, telling him that something came up and that I'm sorry.

It's when I get three blocks from my house that the tears start. A dark blue truck pulls up beside me, but I keep walking. Someone gets out, and I freeze when they call my name.

I turn, and I see Jared walking toward me. "Braelyn, what happened?" he asks, stopping a foot in front of me.

He reaches out to touch my cheek, but I turn away from his hand. "Nothing," I say, wiping my face.

He places his hand under my chin, forcing me to look at him. His touch gives me goosebumps, and I lock eyes with him. "Then, why are you crying?" he asks.

"I don't want to talk about it," I say.

Jared sighs, dropping his hand, "Do you want me to take you home?"

I shake my head. "I don't want to go home," I decide as I think about all the questions my brothers might ask.

Jared looks at his watch. "I have about two hours before baseball practice. Do you wanna go to the cafe down the street?"

"Wouldn't Wren be angry?"

"Wouldn't Ridge?"

I let out a laugh, "Yeah, I kinda cancelled on him already."

Jared smiles. "What do you say?"

I study him for a second the nod. "Sure," I say, and I follow him to his truck. He opens the door for me, and I mumble a "thank you," then get in, placing my bookings between my feet.

Jared shut the door and gets in on his side. "Buckle up," he says as he does. I nod then do the same.

The short ride to the cafe is silent. I keep having flashbacks to when we used to ride around town like this. I was usually blasting music and belting out the lyrics while Jared just laughed. To be honest, I miss it, but I have Ridge now. I'm happy.

"We're here," Jared says, opening his door.

"Oh," I say, unfastening my seatbelt and getting out. We walk into the cafe, and all eyes are on us. I spot some people from school, and I instantly regret my decision.

"Ignore them," Jared says into my ear, surprising me. Nodding, I make my way to a table. Jared looks around. "Is this place new?"
I nod. "Yeah, they opened it last year," I say.

The waitress comes to take our order. I order a slice of strawberry shortcake and an iced coffee. Jared orders just a glass of sweet tea. When she leaves, Jared looks at me. I meet his eyes. "What?"

"You haven't changed a bit," he replies.

I shrug. "I've changed more than you think."

He chuckles, "Is that so?"

"Yes."

Jared shakes his head. "I don't think you have. You're still the same girl I fell in love when I was fourteen."

"You didn't know what love was," I reply.

"Do you?"

I nod. "Yes."

"Tell me," Jared replies, folding his hands together.

"Love is when you're absolutely positive that you want to be with that person for the rest of your life. Your heart skips a beat when you hear them say 'I love you.' You feel the sparks when they touch you, and when they kiss you, it's like fireworks going off. To me, that is love."

Jared nods. "I think you're right," he says and that's when our orders come.