20

I wake up the next morning alone. I look at the clock and see that it's nearly twelve. My phone lays beside my clock, and I pick it up to find five missed calls from Ridge and six from Emma.

I place my phone back on my nightstand then crawl out of bed. I walk over to my door and open it just as Xavier goes to open it from the other side. "Morning," he says, dropping his hand.

"Morning," I say.

"You want breakfast?"

I nod. "Yeah, just let me brush my teeth," I say then make my way to the bathroom. I shut the door behind me and look at myself in the mirror. My eyes are bloodshot from crying, and my hair sticks up everywhere.

I yank the hairbrush through it then pull it into a bun. After that, I brush my teeth. When I finish, I walk downstairs to find Xavier cooking. I take a seat at the island, and Xavier turns around with a pan in hand.

He adds a pancake onto a plate with another one already on it and puts syrup on them. Then, he slides them toward me. "Thank you," I say, cutting into them.

"You're welcome," he says.

The doorbell rings, and I hop off the stool. "I'll be back," I say then make my way to the door. When I open it, Ridge looks up at me. "Hey."

"Hey," he says, "I was just checking on you."

"I'm fine. Honestly, I feel way better," I say, and I mean it. I feel like normal. I guess last night was mostly because of shock than anything else. "Wanna come in?"

He nods, and I step aside. I shut the door behind him, and we make our way into the kitchen. Xavier looks up from his plate of pancakes, and his features harden. "Ridge," He greets firmly.

"Hello, Xavier. I didn't know you were here," Ridge says, sitting down as I do.

"I stayed the night," Xavier replies.

I take a bite of my pancakes. "Really?" Ridge asks. There is so much testosterone in the room that I feel like I'm suffocating.

"Yup," Xavier answers, popping the "p."

I feel Ridge look at me, and I look up. "What?" I ask.

"He stayed the night?" Ridge asks.

"Yeah, I asked him to. Don't worry. Nothing happened," I say.

"Nothing but cuddling," Xavier mutters.

I send him a glare. Ridge clenched his fists. "You cuddled with him!"

"Don't yell at me," I say in a dangerously calm voice, "You have no idea how I was feeling last night, and like I told you before, there's nothing going on between Xavier and me."

"Why didn't you call me? I'm your boyfriend, for goodness sakes," he says.

"Because I've been there for her a lot more than you have," Xavier says, "You just started dating her like four days ago."

"So? The point is she's dating me," Ridge says.

"Okay, there's so much testosterone in the room that I'm suffocating. Ridge, Xavier is my best friend, okay? That's it. Nothing more, and we've been through a lot, okay?"

He just stares at me. "Fine. I trust you," he says.

"Thank you. I was going to enjoy these wonderful pancakes, but I don't see the point. So, I'm going to scarf them down, and I don't want any judgement," I say.

Despite their mood, Xavier and Ridge smile at me. As I eat, a startling question pops into my mind. Does Xavier like me? I am not so sure that it's best friend overprotectiveness anymore, and if not, am I really that blind?

To be honest, I think he does. Am I going to ask him? Nope. That's embarrassing, too embarrassing.

When I finish my pancakes, I look at Ridge. "Do you wanna do something today?" I ask.

"I actually was going to ask you that. I was thinking we could go to the park again," he says.

I smile. "I'll go get ready," I say then look at Xavier, "You can just let yourself out or hang around here. It's completely up to you, and I have no clue where my brothers are."

"I'll just leave," he snaps. I could see the hurt in his eyes, and I answer my own question. Xavier likes me. My best friend has a crush on me. I am really that blind that I didn't see it sooner. Then, why am I seeing it now?
××××××
Ridge parks in the parking lot, and we get out. "He likes you, you know," Ridge says, grabbing my hand.

"I'm starting to see it," I admit.

"How do you feel about it?"

"I don't know. This past week it's like one thing after another, and it's a little overwhelming. It's like things are moving too fast," I say.

"Do you want to slow down?" Ridge asks.

Shockingly, I shake my head. "No, definitely not. I like where things are heading, apart from Xavier liking me and Jared returning. Why? Do you want to slow down?"

"I don't think we're going too fast, so no."

I smile at him. "Okay then."

He smiles at me then wraps an arm around waist, kissing the side of my head. "Okay then."

Then he sighs, "I bet that I can beat you to the oak tree."

"What's the prize?"

"Well, if I win, you have to promise not to cuddle with Xavier anymore and accompany me to my family's barbeque at the end of the month."

"Family barbeque?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's like a family reunion but better," Ridge says.

I nod. "Done. If I win?"

"You can have me as a cuddle buddy anytime," he says.

I grin. "But I already have that."

"Then pick something."

"A tub of mint chocolate-chip ice cream," I say.

Ridge laughs, "That is it? A tub of ice cream?"

I shrug. "To be frank, I'm broke. Like really broke. My wallet has dust in it I'm so broke," I say.

He pecks my lips. "You're so on," He says, and we take off. I get ahead of him, and he grabs my waist, pulling me back a little and speeding up.

"Physical contact is cheating!" I call, but he doesn't look back. Instead, he touches the oak tree then does a victory dance. I clap slowly. "Bravo, McCain."

He runs over me and picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder. I giggle, "Put me down!"

He does, but he locks his finger behind my back. "Looks like you get to have me as cuddle buddy and a date to the family barbeque."

"Do I smell jealousy?" I tease.

Ridge doesn't answer. Instead, he kisses my nose. "Let's get some ice cream."

"For me?"

"Yes, even though you lost."

I reach up and kiss him. "Thank you."

"Anytime, beautiful."