Chapter Sixteen

"sometimes you don't look very hard for things you don't believe will or can happen."
― James Dashner, The Maze Runner

" ― James Dashner, The Maze Runner

Sitting staring up at the sign that was quickly becoming familiar, I couldn't help the upward tug of my lips.

"Come on, little cub. I assume Grey's bouncing about inside." His lips twitch into a small smile. He climbed out,rounding the car and opened my door for me. Entering Abbys with the ring of the little bell, it took approximately 20 seconds before Grey was grinning in front of us, looking like he was going to explode with happiness.

"My favourite couple came back!" He threw his arms up in celebration. "Follow me to your table!"

"B-but we're not..." I trailed off as Grey literately skipped off, whistling a small tune. I looked up at Seth, my face feeling rather red and warm. He just shook his head, a small smirk on his face as he walked after Grey.

"Dude, we're not together, sorry." He tells Grey as he catches up, patting his shoulder sympathetically.

"Awe! Really? But you're so adorable together. Oh well. Maybe my new room mate might catch your eye, he's a real looker!" Grey winked at me, not seeing Seth's eyes narrowing at the back of his head. He had certainly warmed up to Grey, especially after our last conversation, but they still seemed to have moments I didn't understand where Seth would glare or pull some other face, an unknown emotion flickering across and disappearing.

"Did you not get in contact with Alec then?" I asked him as I slid into my usual seat.

"Oh, I did! He certainly was nice enough, but we agreed it probably wouldn't work..." Grey trailed off, his face falling slightly. Seth nudged him.

"You said you still got a room mate though, so not all bad?" His face brightened again.

"Yeh, and he's pretty cool, scary looking but sexy! He used to be in the army, but he's back home for good now. I asked about his friends or family but he didn't really wanna talk. You'll probably see him when he stops by later, I've been trying to get him to socialise more. So, what you two wanting today?" He beams. I'm not sure how he had enough oxygen to babble that amount out all at once, but he was happy and excited, so I was happy for him that things seemed to be falling into place.

"Two cokes and two plates of pancakes, mixed stack." Seth ordered without even looking at a menu.

"Course! Will be just a jiffy!" and with that, Grey bounded off.

"He's something else, ya know that?" Seth mutters to himself, shaking his head. He looks back to me, smiling.

"Want to play a game?"

"Game? What kinda game?" I ask, cautious of what he may be about to throw me into.

"Nothing hard, just 20 questions. I feel like I know you, but I don't at the same time. Like, I know how you act and your reactions to stuff, but I don't know about stuff like hobbies, although I'd hazard a guess at drawing." He shrugs, leaning back. "What do ya say, Panda?" I think it over. I guess there's no harm in a few questions, besides, I could possibly get some answers of my own.