Chapter Thirty

"Jess wouldn't argue that, but he saw her as a beautiful wild creature who had been caught for a moment in that dirty old cage of a schoolhouse, perhaps by mistake."
―Katherine Paterson, Bridge to Terabithia

" ―Katherine Paterson, Bridge to Terabithia

I pulled at my shirt as I looked at my reflection. No matter what I did, it was still obvious I had put on weight. I didn't think it was obvious why, but just that I had gained some pounds.

Sighing, I look over at the clock on Seths bedside table. He had managed to convince me to stay away from school and work for a little longer but today would be my first day back. In the middle of February. I was a few days shy of being 20 weeks, and thanks to my horrific morning sickness, that was really 24/7 sickness, it was barely noticeable that I had a baby bump. If I wore Seth's hoodie all day, then no one would know any different. The guys were a different story though. They had definitely noticed before too long and had demanded answers. So I left Jasper and Seth to deal with them while I went to sit in the shower and puke into a basin. So far, pregnancy had been glamorous to me. Clearly.

Both Jasper and Seth had gotten more over protective than I was accustomed to, I had one or the other escorting me whenever I wanted to go out. And if I fancied food at ridiculous times, one or the other would jump out to get me it.

Seth stepped into the room, dressed in his usual school gear before his eyes landed on me.

"You surely can't be comfortable in that. It looks a little tight" I looked at him through the mirror, watching as he approached me.

"Do, do I look like I'm just too fat?" I asked, feeling my bottom lip quiver slightly.

"Oh no, little cub, I didn't mean that!" He quickly closed the gap, his arms snaking round my waist to hug me from behind.

"Your body is growing another life inside it, so your body is growing too. You don't look fat at all, but you'll need maternity clothes. This..." His hands spayed across my slowly growing, tiny bump.

"This is amazing, and so are you." He whispered into my ear. Then he detached himself from me, pulling me round to face him properly.

"I'm still not happy about you coming to school. But, if you're ready then lets go."

I nodded with a smile, now feeling slightly better about how I looked. Seth seemed to pick up pretty quickly on how to handle my emotional swings, and how to cheer me up.

He handed me his grey hoodie before leading me out to his car and helping me climb inside. We had grown even more close over the passing month and a bit, and for me, that meant I had fallen so very deeply in love with him that there was no looking back at this point. And I had stopped trying to deny it to myself. There was no point, because no matter what, I knew from now on, I would always love him, trust him with my life no matter what. But it also caused me a great deal of heartbreak. Knowing that one day he will meet that girl of his dreams, leaving me to watch from a distance as he begins his own happy family. I would try to be happy for him, but I know the heartbreak from it will be destroying, since thinking about it even now leaves me feeling broken and empty.