21: Time goes on

Amy Allisons POV

I stared up at the ceiling for ages, no one had come home yet and Axel had taken Alyssa away ages ago.

Mum was wondering why I did what I did, I couldn't out right tell her that Alyssa was Axels mate and that makes me jealous. Alyssa doesn't even want a mate and her birthday is twenty - six days away. Twenty - six days until we all find out.

Mum and dad find out they're mates.

Axel and I see if she rejects him.

Alyssa finds out she has a mate.

I padded upstairs and into my room, i shifted through her black duffel bag, pulling out a fluffy pink book. The two of us did a project together last year that we had to write in a diary for a year and with Alyssa it kind of stuck. Mum encouraged it as it was like therapy for her, instead of actually getting a therapist. I flipped through the pages.

Dear Diary,
Today I heard Rosie tell Axel to stop looking at my rear. Of course thoes weren't the exact words she used, you know Rosie. Anyway, I don't know how to feel I mean he's Amys older brother and he always drives me to work.

What if he had feelings for me? What if he wasn't pursing his mate because of me? Highly unlikely, I know Amy doesn't want to admit it aloud but I'm not the "datable" kind, no body wants to date a girl with deadbeat parents.

My entire body froze, the fact that she had quoted exactly what I said to Axel just made me freeze. How could she have said the exact same thing, a few days before I said it? My eyes teared up, it wasn't true. Alyssa was a small, fragile, beautiful girl that I took for granted. She'd never forgive me, I could never forgive myself.

What if she found out about Axel and reject him?

Axel was right, she'd never come by the house ever again.

And Axel would flee. Leave the country.

I would loose my best friend and my brother.

That thought circled my mind, again and again.

My future with my brother and best friend was balanced on Alyssas shoulders. If she rejected Axel, I would never see them again. And if Alyssa accepted him... I wouldn't want to see them. I flipped a few pages through her diary to an older entry.

I had a nightmare last night. The same one I've been having for years. I was back there, the memory of the time my Father and Mother stopped shifting. They blamed me again and again, hitting me and screaming at me. What they say is foggy and when I wake up I can never remember it.

But last night Axel came in and woke me up. He held me until I stopped crying and I fell back asleep.

He is like the brother I never had. A male role model that doesn't make me shy. I can't believe I had a crush on him when I was seven. Old times. I guess I only liked him because he saved me from my family. He found me and carried me to his house and helped me and his parents. And Amy.

Anyway, my dreams are getting better with the help of Axel.

Got to to, Axels going to take me to work.

My eyes stared, she wrote about Axel a lot. Even if the mate bond wasn't surfaced completely, Alyssa still couldn't get Axel off her mind.

She had a crush on Axel?

My mind whirled back to when we were seven. I remembered being a lot more flamboyant, as Alyssa likes to describe, and Alyssa was a lot more shy. I remember these boy threw a dead woodland creature at us and Alyssa gripped his arm as he told them off as she burried her head in his shirt.

Would Alyssa be a cute, romantic type with her mate or an awkward clam?

I smiled sadly as I thought about them together, trying to except them.

But then my smile fell, she was going to reject him because, she said it herself, she doesn't want a mate.

The next week went by in a blur, keeping it to myself as I thought of what was going to happen. Caleb would smirk at me in the halls and everyone seemed to know that Alyssa had called my doctor brother to come get us. Some even said some nasty things about the two, that they were bumping uglies behind closed doors and I didn't know. This was a lie because not only would I know, Axel wouldn't dream of touching his mate in that way unless she knew about the mate bond. And was of age.

And then there was Alyssa having to go in on weekdays to pull a few afternoon shifts because Busy Burger was running low on staff. So she was tired all the time and I was forced to sleep on the couch. Sighing, I stared at the black screen of the television, the stairs case was shadowed but I could see Axel as he walked into my room. Probably to check on Alyssa, again. He must have been focusing really hard on Alyssa to sense anything. I had gotten bored and focused my senses on her and the scent of fear.

She was having nightmares again.

Uncomfortably, I angled my head as I watched Axel walk back to his room. I gnawed my lip as I closed my eyes, it was twelve past one. Eighteen days until her birthday.

Eighteen days until my brother and my best friends future are made.