25: Home, sweet home

Alyssa Mells POV

I missed the bus waiting for Amy and then my phone went flat. The joys of being me! Sighing, I hiked my bag further up my shoulder, wondering if Axel would drive past and see me, j
Hopefully lend me a ride. Or he would realize I'm late by - staring down at my watch my eyes buldged. I was nearly an hour late. The bus drive takes twenty minutes, mainly because the driver floors it down the streets, and to be nearly an hour late. My heart swelled, they probably didn't even realise I was gone. Staring around at the many houses, my chest lurched in excitement, I was nearly home, maybe ten minutes away.

My mind kept drifting back to what had happened today, not seeing Amy at all. Which sucked, considering she was my MAIN friend. My best friend. Although recently she hasn't been herself. Keeping something from me, she stayed quiet, hardly spoke to me unless someone was around. I suppose she's just upset about getting drunk and kissing Caleb. And apparently some other guy that she didn't know.

My heart beat thrummed loudly as a car slowed down behind me, was it Axel. I turned my head to see Dorians navy blue car, rust and all. I turned back around, why did it have to be Dorian?

"Come on Alyssa, please just get in the car." He called out. When I kept walking, he pulled over completely, the car engine stopping. I scrunched my eyes closed in irritation. "Alyssa - "

"Look here Dorian!" I whirled on him, jabbing a finger in his direction. "You - I am not forgiving - you let Amy drink and then tried to stop me from calling to get help." I vented, Dorian bowing his head in shame, looking at me through his eyelashes. "So don't say anything to me - I'm not interested."

"Are you done?" He asked, my body tingled in rage. But I bit my tongue, I have no time for this. Staring down again at my watch - I'm finally an hour late. Huffing in frustration I turned away from him, storming away. I can't believe I was actually raging, my usually soft voice had been sharp and loud. Flamboyant. I had pulled an Amy, smiling, I let myself calm down, Amy had rubbed off on me. And that was a good thing as she stood up for what she believed in.

Dorian only called out my name once, but I stubbornly refuse to turn back and speak to him. For someone who cried after being rejected - he was being quiet testy. Testing my patience, my friendship and most important my ability to not kill someone.

I could see it! The house! A smile bloomed on my face as I sped up, spotting the polished wood porch, and the neat garden. My legs carried me to the front door, Mr and Mrs Allison weren't home and neither was Axel, his car not in the driveway. Pushing the door open, I spotted Amys bag, nearly tripped on it to be exact. So Amy was home, I charged quietly upstairs and pushed Amys door open. "Hey Amy I haven't seen you - "

"Shut up." Amy snapped, turning in her swivel chair to face me with a hard glare. I took a stumbling step backwards - what had happened. "Just shut up." She stood, growling. "I can't believe you Alyssa."

"What's wrong?" I asked shaking. "What happened?"

"Shut up while I'm talking." She took a step away from me. "I don't think we can be friends anymore, I just - Alyssa you're pathetic - you don't stand up for your self - " I wanted to tell her I do, I did just before! But my lip quivered, what had I done? " - look, you're crying right now because you can't handle the truth." She scoffed. "Nobody wants to be friend with a girl who has deadbeat parents." Never did anything in Amys voice falter. No hesitation. "And because we're not friends anymore - you're not welcome here - go home Alyssa." She growled, picking up my packed bag, throwing it at me. The bag was extremely light. "I don't even want to know what you did to get those clothes." She snapped glaring at me more. "Now, get out!" I flinched as she raised her voice. "Go back to your cupboard you bitch." I didn't let her insult me again, running down the stairs and out the door, tears streaming down my face as I held back sobs.

Why had she said that?

I - after years of living under the roof - she said that to me. Had she always felt that way?

Did anyone else feel that way about me?

At this point it was hopeless as all I had to do was run home.

All the way home.

Breathless I shifted into wolf form and ran the rest of the way through the forest, arriving near my house, I shifted back, carrying the duffel in my arms. My lip quivered as the familiar sounds and smells hit me again.

Sixteen days until my birthday.

I thought to myself, tears falling down my cheeks.

Mother and Father had visitors. And by the sounds, lots of them.

"I'm home." I said sarcastically, the lump rising in my throat as I climbed over the fence, ready to sneak in through a window.

Home, sweet home.