Second Chance

Jace started at me for a moment and then started to smile. I gave him a questioning look, wondering why he was so happy. I was about to reject him and by knowing what Zack told me, Jace would most likely go insane if I rejected him. Sure, I felt a bit guilty but he gave me no other choice. If he wouldn’t let me leave, then I had to force him too. There was no way I wanted to be with him, he has been nothing but controlling and demanding of me.

            “I’m not an idiot, but Zack is by telling you about rejection.” Jace laughed and I felt blood rush to my cheeks.

            I crossed my arms but stared at the ground. How was I supposed to reject him if I didn’t know his full name? Tears threatened to escape my eyes. This was not how I wanted to spend my life as a werewolf. I wanted to be on my own, away from Matthew. Jace knew Matthew so what if he came back and found me? I stood up from my chair and rushed over to the door. This time Jace didn’t beat me to the door. I ran out of the office and up the stairs. I knew I couldn’t run outside so I took off to the only other place I knew of, Jace’s room.

            Once I was there, I slammed the door shut. Next to the door was a dresser and I decided to push that in front of the door so that Jace couldn’t get in so easily. There was a lock on the door but I knew Jace had a key, since he had locked me in here before. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I thought of how messed up this was. How dare Jace laugh at me like that. This is why I didn’t want to be his mate.

            I threw open the balcony door and let the cool midnight air fill my lungs. The coldness help calm me down but it still didn’t solve any of my problems. I sat down on the balcony and rested my back against the railing. I closed my eyes and fought back my tears. I had Matthew to worry about and now a mean Alpha who I hated almost as much as Matthew.

            There was a knock on the bedroom door which drew my eyes open. I ignored Jace’s voice begging me to open the door. He would have to break down the door before I opened it for him. Just as I thought that, there was a pounding on the door. I looked over and the dresser was being pushed over, falling down as the door opened. Jace walked in, stepping over the dresser, looking a bit angry but I had seen him worse. I folded my arms and refused to look at him.

            “Iz, come on. I’m sorry I laughed.” He apologized.

            “Go away. I don’t want to talk to you.” I growled, not recognizing myself as I growled.  

            “I will promise to be better. I just don’t want you to leave me.” He admitted.

            “I don’t think you can be better.” I said truthfully, still not looking at him in the eyes. How could someone change and become a better person? People usually don’t change.

            “Look, I know you want to leave but leaving would be the worst mistake you have ever made. You want to leave so you can run from Matthew, but you are forgetting that I know him. I feel like there is more to the relationship than you are telling me, but I do know how he is. He will track you down and get whether you want it or not. If you’re here, you will have a pack and me to protect you. Matthew won’t get close enough to see you.” Jace said sincerely. 

            I was speechless at first, what he said did make sense. I mean, if I did stay here, I would have protection that I wouldn’t have if I left. I slowly glanced up and our eyes met. A frown appeared on my face, because I knew he was right. He raised an eyebrow and stared at me with curiosity.

            “You’re right.” I muttered.

            “Wait, what did you say?” He said with a smirk.