The Talk

Jace led the way to the living room without saying a word. I was honestly scared of the outcome of this talk. What was I supposed to do? There wasn’t a doubt in my mind that he couldn’t protect me, but at what cost? He was a killer. Could I live with someone like that? I sat down on the plush sofa, followed by Jace. The smile had left his face and I could tell he was in deep thought too.

            I was a bit homesick because of all the mixed feelings I was getting. I just wanted to be held in my mom’s arms again, and to see her elegant, overly expensive clothing that she always wore. I missed her bright smile and constant lectures, even though I hated them. Despite my dad forcing me to marry Matthew, I still missed him. He was my father after all. I was in a new place, with new people and my parents were the ones I wanted to see. They were one of the few people close to me in my life.

            Matthew was scaring me. I wasn’t sure what these hallucinations or dreams were but it made me terrified that at any time, I could pass out. My arm was hurt in a dream, how was that even possible? Zack walked into the living room and I knew he wanted to hear what I saw in my dream. He sat down in an arm chair across from Jace and I.

            “I need you to tell us exactly what happened when you passed out. What did you see?” Jace asked, a worried expression flashed across his face.

            “I was in the middle of the woods, alone. I looked around but all there was were trees. When I tried to move, I couldn’t. I was trapped in place by like an invisible force field or something. Then Matthew appeared.” I paused, not wanting to remember the sinister smirk on his face or the way he was controlling me. I saw Jace clench his fists, clearing pissed that Matthew was messing with me and hurting me.

            “He warned me that he was coming for me and that it could be a day, a week, a month or a year. He said that we would be together and get married. Then he could stage an ‘accident’ for me and he would rule Cadellan for himself.”

            I could feel tears fill my eyes. Even though I ran away from Cadellan, I still loved the place. It was my home, my country. I didn’t want it to be taken over by someone as cruel and controlling as Matthew. He would end up destroying Cadellan along with the people in it.

            “He kept saying that it was a dream, but then again it wasn’t. I asked him what he meant and he said that he had witches making this possible.” I said, quietly.

            Jace glanced over at Zack and I knew they were doing that stupid mind linking crap so that I couldn’t hear them. Who gave werewolves that power anyway, it was so stupid. I frowned and crossed my arms.

            “You might as well say what you guys are mind linking about, I’m strong enough to hear what you have to say.” I said.

            “Aw, don’t worry, once we’ve mated, you’ll have the power to mind link.” Jace smirked, and I couldn’t help by frown by that. I could have said, “Well, if we mate,” but I decided that wouldn’t be the best thing to say at the moment. I knew he was just trying to lighten up the mood a bit before he told me what Zack and him were talking about.