Run

I whirled around to see three large wolves standing in front of us. By their scent, I knew they were rogues. Great, we had Austin’s pack invading and rogues joining in. My heart was racing and I wasn’t sure what to do. I grabbed onto the back of Jace’s arm, hiding behind him. He stood in front of me, shielding me from the wolves. I watched as the wolves shifted into humans, not bothering to hide themselves from being naked. I just focused my eyes on their faces.

            My hands were trembling as I held onto Jace for dear life. In the distance, I saw the pack house nearly destroyed and our fighters going out to greet Austin’s pack. All the women and children were crying and trying to find somewhere to hide turning the battle. The pack was in flames, so they were forced out of it and there no saying how many people were trapped inside. Was Alia okay? I prayed she got out because Jace would be devastated if she was hurt or even died.

            I saw the children and women guarded by a few men, who were guiding them away from the house, but also away from Austin’s advancing pack. If I wasn’t a werewolf, I wouldn’t have been able to see that far since we were over a mile away, but got to love enhanced eyesight.
            “Austin’s pack just stepped into our territory.” Zack spoke through Jace and my mind link.
            “I’ve got three rogues with Izzy and me. I’m a bit preoccupied. I’m sending Izzy towards you; you better get to her and protect her.” Jace demanded which echoed through my head. Zack said he was on his way and I couldn’t help but not want to leave Jace alone. Sure, I wasn’t a fighter, but I didn’t want Jace to die protecting me. Just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, one of the rouges spoke up.
            “Give us the Luna, and you can go fight your war.” The tallest one demanded, and by the power he was giving off, he was the leader of them. I let out a small whimper, terrified of what he said. I knew Jace would defend me, but it was three against one.  

            “Over my dead body.” Jace growled, pushing me farther behind him, so that they couldn’t see me. I poked my head from behind Jace, to see three pissed off werewolves. Why did they want me? What did I ever do to them? Would they kill me once they got me? I buried my face into Jace’s back, feeling his body tense at the leader’s words.

            “That can be arranged.” The leader snarled.

            Jace turned and looked at me, his eyes showing pain and concern for me. I knew he didn’t want me to leave, just because he wanted to protect me and not be by myself, but what was I supposed to do, stay here and risk being attacked? He frowned and then through the mind link he said, “I need you run towards the pack house and find Zack. He’ll protect you. I love you, but please run now.”
            I nodded and whispered, “I love you,” before I took off running. I heard Jace shift, along with the rogues and the battle began. I didn’t look back, knowing if I did, I would go and try and help Jace. He was an Alpha, he could take them. The rogues didn’t bother chasing me, knowing that if they killed Jace, I would be easy to get too. Please, let him be okay. I decided against running in my wolf form since she was already tired from running before and I could maneuver through the trees better in human form.

            Once I was a good distance away from Jace, I started to jog, needing to catch my breath. My wolf seemed on edge and I wasn’t sure if it was because of Jace, the explosion, or Austin’s pack, but all were pretty good reasons. Zack was nowhere to be seen, but I’m sure he was by the pack house waiting for me.