My Job.

Media section first then story 😡 ^

"Sumayya." Lydia called me from behind the register where she was writing down catering orders over the phone.

"Yeah, love?" I asked over my shoulder. I wasn't doing anything much, just waiting for someone from one of my tables to call me over or to finish their food so I could serve.

"Bella wanted to see you in her office." She said to me. I nodded and put the tea towel on my shoulder onto the bench and walked towards her office, wondering what the reason could be.

"Come in." Her voice called from the other side of the door once I knocked on it softly three times.

I walked inside and smiled at her before shutting the door and sitting down onto the couch she gestured to.

"Hi, love." She said, her tone of voice not as bubbly as it normally was. Something was wrong. I could sense it. See it even. Not only from the way she spoke, but from the sympathy in her face.

Was I being fired?

"Bella." I said solemnly, all previous energy gone as I looked at her with raised eyebrows, waiting for her to say whatever she had to say.

"Sumi," She sighed, rubbing her forehead and holding her head in both hands.

"I'm being fired, aren't I?" I spoke, a crack in my voice that I didn't expect to be there.

She looked up at me with glossed over eyes.

I was being fired.

"Why?" I spoke softly.

She exhaled and stood up, walking around the desk and sitting on the edge of the couch across me, reaching over and holding my hands.

"You've not done anything bad. We're just over employed in all three shift hours. The boss said that every shift group has to fire two employees each."

And she picked me? Knowing I have two kids to feed and look after?

"You picked me?" I asked her, not being able to stop myself.

"No." She said quickly, squeezing my hands. "No, of course not. I would never. I didn't have a say. They asked for the shift hours and the two people who've worked the least had to be let off."

Oh.

I understand.

Of course, this past month was the most stressful month of my life and not only had I gotten days off more than I ever used to, but I also had days where I would come into work late or have to leave a bit early.

"I understand." I told her sincerely, turning my hands around and squeezing hers back with a smile though my eyes were teary.

A tear slid down her cheek and she quickly wiped it. "I'm sorry, sumayya. I tried. I swear I tried so hard to tell them you needed this job more than anyone. That you're a single mother with two beautiful children to provide for, but you know the boss. He owns hundreds of restaurants and hotels. He has zero empathy for any of his workers."

"I know, Bella. It's fine. Really. Thank you for even trying. If this is what was written for me, then there must be goodness in it."

"You're always so positive. I'm really going to miss you around here." She said, a few more tears escaping her eyes.

"If it wasn't for my religion, trust me, Bella, I would have given up on life a long time ago. But I've learnt that god only puts us in tough situations to help us gain wisdom, strength, experience, knowledge and all things good."