Chapter 7

The rain was pouring down, the trees that surrounded the company in the forest offering little to no protection. Pulling up the hood to her overcoat, the article of clothing helped keep out most of the damp weather. There had been a few times in the Shire when the young woman would be called out of the guild to see to the equipment on farms. Seeing as her master grew old with age it was only natural that Poppy would see to those jobs. Half of the time it would be raining. The overcoat had been a gift from the old man after she caught a nasty cold when the object she was working on sat stuck out in the middle of the rain.

Only half of those in the company possessed hoods to cover their heads, Bilbo not being one of them. Every Dwarf grew increasingly miserable as they became soaked through.

"Here, Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Nori called.

"It is raining, Master Dwarf," Gandalf answered, "and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another Wizard."

"Are there any?" Bilbo asked.

"What?"

"Other Wizards."

"There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman the White. Then there are the two Blue Wizards... You know, I've quite forgotten their names."

"And who is the fifth?"

"Well, that would be Radagast the Brown."

"Is he a great Wizard? Or is he more like you?"

Poppy bit her lip to hide a laugh when the older man huffed under his breath before saying, "I think he's a very great Wizard in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forestlands to the east. And a good thing too. For always evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

They didn't stop and eventually the rain set into a drizzle. Allowing some relief for their outerwear to dry.

"About time," Nori muttered. Removing the outer cloak he squeezed it out and a stream of water leaked out of the clothing.

"I'll cook a stew tonight!" Bofur proclaimed. "Warm us all right up."

The Dwarves grunted in agreement on the choice.

As they continued to ride on Bilbo picked up his head, having lost track of time by staring out over the landscape before them. It truly was like nothing he had ever seen before, only hearing about places such as this in books. And it was then he realized Poppy no longer rode at his side. Quickly looking around, the Hobbit found her beside Dwalin. He had a knife clasped tightly in hand, pointing to his fingers as she looked on before handing it over to the Half-breed. She attempted to copy his movements, the Dwarf reaching over to correct her grip and then went on to show her some blocking techniques with the lower arm, along with attacking movements.

"Your cousin is quite resourceful," Gandalf spoke up.

"She's always wanted an adventure," Bilbo stated.

Poppy lost her balance on the saddle mid strike, arms flailing to try and catch her herself. Quickly grabbing onto the leather when staying upright was not possible. But Dwalin moved just as swiftly, reaching over to grasp the back of her shirt and pulled the blacksmith into the saddle once more. A gruff laugh escaped his lips, as well as from those around him. Even the Wizard chuckled, as the cousin shook his head. Mildly embarrassed, Poppy apologized before asking Dwalin to give her tips on how to remain situated in a saddle mid combat.