Book 1: Final Chapter

None slept that night as they flew over mountains and plains till the early morning light began to peek between the clouds. The bird Gandalf led with gave a cry as they soared low through a green valley. Up ahead stood a rock formation as they began circling. One by one they landed in order to allow the Dwarves to climb down. The one holding Thorin in its talons gently laid him on the rock face. Gandalf rushed forward, shouting,

"Thorin!"

There was still no response as the Wizard placed a hand over his closed eyes and began muttering an incantation. When removed, the Dwarf's eyes fluttered open to see the rest of his company gathered around in relief.

"The Halfling," he breathed. "Poppy?"

"It's alright. Bilbo is here and quite safe." His eyes then turned up towards the sky where Poppy's eagle continued to circle. "And Poppy, well," he chuckled, "seems to be enjoying the clouds."

The prince struggled to stand as Dwalin and Balin helped him to his feet. He turned on the Hobbit, glaring. He remembered everything that happened before losing consciousness. The fact that the Halfling risked his own life for his sake foolishly.

"You! What were you doing?" Thorin shouted.

Bilbo's expression fell at his harsh words as the others watched on silently.

"You nearly got yourself killed. Did I not say you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the Wild. And you had no place amongst us."

The Hobbit only bowed his head, unable to look him in the eye. Instead he watched as the last eagle landed and Poppy slid off, none too graceful for that matter. And he wished to rush over, but did not dare interrupt the prince, afraid of his anger.

"I have never been so wrong in all my life."

His head snapped back towards Thorin. He was smiling in a genuine manner. The prince walked forward to embrace him in a grateful hug. The company sighed in relief at their leader's reaction.

"I am sorry I have doubted you," the prince said, pulling away.

"I would have doubted myself too," Bilbo chuckled. "I'm not a hero, nor a warrior. I'm not a burglar."

"Poppy," the Wizard spoke.

Their heads turned, realizing Gandalf had approached the young woman. She was lying on the ground. Instantly they grew worried and rushed to her side. It was only when the company rounded the older man that they saw all of the blood.

"What happened?" Dwalin exclaimed. She was in agony when the older man touched the wound.

"The pale Orc missed its mark," Gandalf stated. "She's lucky he didn't cleave off her head."

"We need to treat it," Óin spoke up. "Now. Before it becomes infected."

They did not have much to work with. The others were forced to stay back as to not crowd the Half-breed and those who knew what they were doing. Bilbo remained to hold her hand in support. Using what little water Gandalf had the dried blood was cleared to further inspect the damage. It ran deep. When the worst was over from prodding the wound Poppy looked up at them with lazy eyes. She felt exhausted, spent and they nearly cringed at the sight of the red that now surrounded the pupil from the blood that seeped through the eyelids.

"Thorin..." she breathed.

"He is alive and well, thanks to Bilbo and yourself," Gandalf smiled. "It took courage to take on Azog alone."

She sighed in relief as Bofur wrapped the wound with strips of cloth from the Wizard's bag in a way that the material covered the eye completely. Shorter bits of hair stuck out from the bandages in areas in an almost comical manner. But none could find amusement in the situation.

"You are one brave lass to take him on," Bofur stated. "Brave, but foolish in my opinion."

She could only give him a crooked grin from the pain.

"It will scar," Óin stated. "I've drawn the skin closed as much as possible for it to mend."

"That does not bother me," the young woman answered. At least the eye still had sight.

The entire time Thorin watched from the side as Poppy spoke lowly to the others. From their distance he could not see the severity of the wound, but it was not small, that much was certain. Not with that much blood. She leaned against Bilbo for support and thanked those who helped. Her eye landed on Thorin. Poppy gave him a weak smile. He forced one in return realizing how close he was to losing someone in the company. Their only female. How she managed to take on the pale Orc the prince did not know. But a newfound admiration swelled in him from her bravery and loyalty. It was then Thorin promised something to himself. He would never allow Azog to get that close to her again.

The Dwarves stood as Gandalf approached. They asked questions in regards to the blacksmith and her wellbeing.

"She will be alright," he reassured. "Some rest will do her good. She's lost a lot of blood."

Thorin nodded in agreement. They could all use rest. It had been over a day since they last slept.

A bird call caught their attention, watching as the small animal flew past them and towards the Lonely Mountain that sat far in the distance. They had been so worried about their leader and Poppy none realized that their homeland now sat in their line of sight. And they stared in amazement as the Hobbit helped Poppy stand to join the others.

"What is that?" Bilbo asked when noticing their stare.

"Erebor," Gandalf answered. "The Lonely Mountain. Last of the Dwarf Kingdoms of Middle Earth."

"Our home," Thorin stated. He couldn't help but smile.

"A raven!" Óin exclaimed. He pointed towards the bird that continued to fly in the direction they were headed. "They are returning to the mountain!"

"That my dear, Óin, is a thrush," the Wizard stated.

"Then we'll take it as a sign," the prince reasoned. "A good omen."

"You're right," the Hobbit agreed. "I do believe the worst is behind us."

The cousins shared a smile. Poppy hugged him close. Their destination was just ahead as their desire and determination to reach it only grew. They were nearly there.

To be continued...