Chapter 12

The sun was barely peeking over the horizon when the company began to wake. Bilbo shook Poppy's shoulder when she didn't get up right away. The Half-breed blinked the sleep from her eyes and yawned. It was time to go. She wished they had more time in Rivendell. Instead she took her now washed clothes and changed out of the Elven dress. It felt comfortable to be wearing breeches again, yet she sighed as the dress was draped over a chair. It really was lovely... even if originally for a child.

"Quietly," Thorin spoke lowly.

There were no Elves to stop them, nor guards that manned the gates and paths that lead out of Rivendell. These warriors were too lax in the prince's opinion. However, it worked to their advantage.

When no longer in hearing range of any sensitive ears, Thorin addressed them once more, "Be on your guard. We enter the Wild just past these mountains. Dwalin, you know this path, lead on."

The Dwarf grunted and moved to the front to guide the way. Bilbo turned to take one last look upon the beautiful city of Rivendell. Unsure if he would ever see it again.

"Maser Baggins, I suggest you keep up."

A hand gently rested on his shoulder that caused him to turn to see Poppy smiling at him.

"Don't worry, maybe when we go home we'll take this path again," she stated. He nodded with a small smile. The cousins looked to Rivendell once more before leaving it behind.

"And what of Gandalf?" Dori asked.

"He will find us later," Balin answered.

Gandalf was not with them. He had been called away late last night with Elrond and hadn't been seen since. But he promised Thorin to meet them at the mountain pass. They were to wait for him there.

They traveled on foot through the plains of the Wild and basked in the warm rays of the sun. There wasn't a cloud in sight. Poppy wished for her pony, Windy, to ride over the hills with excitement like before. The view continued to be breathtaking. It grew late into the day when they approached mountains. They waited until sundown for Gandalf. Yet he did not appear. Impatient, Thorin made the decision the company pressed on and entered the pass without the Wizard. Slowly, the air grew thinner the higher they climbed. Even the road became narrow and treacherous. It forced them to travel single file in a line. Still, if one slipped there wouldn't be time to recover. The fall over the edge would be the death of them.

The company didn't get far when storm clouds began rolling in. Soon the sky opened up and began to downpour, the storm much worse compared to when they rode through the woods. The rock grew slick, which forced their trek to slow for safety. Every hood was pulled up on their cloaks in an attempt to protect them from the elements. Though it did little as the water soaked right through within minutes. Thunder clapped in the sky. So loud it made Poppy's chest vibrate and ears ring. This was difficult with the mud squishing under her boots. One hand always had a firm grip on the rock wall to prevent a deathly fall.

The sound of a section giving way from the rain caused the Half-breed to turn. A scream escaped her in horror when she saw her cousin's form begin to drop. An arm stretched out before her to press the young woman's back against the rock and hold her there. To be certain the blacksmith made no sudden movements to place herself in danger. One of her hands gripped the limb in shock and squeezed tightly in fear.

"Bilbo!" Bofur shouted.

The Dwarf reached out and pulled their burglar back onto the path to safety. The Half-breed breathed a sigh of relief that he had been saved. She glanced at the owner of the arm and found Thorin at the end of it. He was the one to worry that Poppy may race towards the Hobbit without a thought that her own safety would be at risk. Or one of his comrades. Slowly, the prince lowered the arm and she released him as well.