Chapter 8

Eventually they could all see something in the distance that stood out against their surroundings. A home, only it was a burnt-out structure of what it once was. Everything was overgrown. The place had been abandoned for a long time now.

"We will camp here for the night," Thorin stated. Immediately, the Wizard climbed the small hill towards the home to inspect it. "Fíli, Kíli, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them."

"Right," they answered.

"Óin. Glóin. Get a fire going."

"Aye, right you are," Óin said.

The Dwarf moved to converse with Gandalf. In their absence the company began to set up camp. Poppy's pony nuzzled his face against her own. The Half-breed to grin from the affection and ruffle the mane. However, it wasn't long until the Wizard came storming down the overgrown path with an irritated expression on his face.

"Everything alright?" Bilbo asked. The older man continued on and grumbled something under his breath. "Gandalf, where are you going?"

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense," he snapped.

"Who's that?"

"Myself, Mr. Baggins! I've had enough of Dwarves for one day."

The group watched in mild shock as the Wizard disappeared into the forest. Just what had made him so angry and upset?

"Come on, Bombur, we're hungry," Thorin cut in.

"Is he coming back?" Bilbo asked.

Some of the Dwarves shrugged. The pony nudged Poppy's face realizing her attention no longer on him. She stumbled slightly from not expecting the movement, only to laugh lightly and cradled the animal's muzzle in an affectionate manner. Windy brayed in content.

"Alright, alright," Poppy muttered.

All of the ponies, who were no longer carrying the packs. Instead, they followed the brothers off into the forest to graze. She had to push her own in their direction when the pony refused to leave at first. The pony quickly trotted after the herd so he wasn't left behind. When Poppy finished helping the Dwarves collect wood in order to start a fire, Poppy sat beside her cousin on a log.

"Bah, it's missing something," Glóin stated. He made a strange face from the taste.

"May I?" Bilbo spoke up.

The Dwarf shrugged his shoulders and dipped the spoon into the pot before handing it over to the Hobbit. He made a similar face. It made Poppy smirk.

"So then? What does it need?" Bombur asked.

Looking around, the Hobbit pondered what they could do. "We may be in luck if we can find a plant."

"A plant?"

"Yes... it looks like..."

The Half-breed could feel a presence beside her, glancing over to find Thorin. "Is something wrong?" she wondered.

"You said you were a skilled blacksmith," the prince stated.

"That would be correct."

He held out his weapon. "Then show me."

Carefully taking the object, Poppy looked back up at the prince.

"I'll give it back to you soon."

He gave a curt nod and walked away. The young woman turned back towards the fire. Startled to find the Dwarves and Bilbo staring at her in mild surprise and shock.