Chapter 7

As you make your way toward the shore, you wonder what Grimoire Heart is doing on the island. It can't be a coincidence that they and Zeref both appeared around the same time. Whatever it is can't be good, and you need to find the rest of your guildmates.

The ground shakes with another explosion and you break into a run, still too tired to use magic. The trees begin to thin out and the earth starts sloping upward, the grassy terrain replaced by rocks and shrubs. Eventually the path opens out to a cliff edge that appears to be burnt.

"(Y/N)-san!" You hear Wendy's relieved voice call.

Turning, you see the blue-haired Dragon Slayer and three Exceeds cowering by a large boulder, the only thing that hasn't been smashed in the burnt battlefield. Making your way over to them, you notice that they all look exhausted and a little beat up.

You hear a shout of defiance and look up to see an enraged Natsu charging toward a weird blond-haired guy who's currently laughing like a maniac. Something about this guy reminds you of Acnologia; it must be his hair or something.

The crazy blond maniac laughs and taunts the Fire Dragon Slayer while the two throw punches at each other with their fists encased in flames. But the crazy dude's flames are black instead of a normal red-orange color.

"Natsu-san..." Wendy watches with a worried expression.

"Don't worry, it's no problem," exclaims Happy. "He hates to lose."

"Natsu's attacks aren't working. What is this guy?" Carla wonders aloud.

"He said he was a God Slayer or something," says Panther Lily.

A God Slayer? Magic that can slay gods? It's no wonder that Natsu and this guy look evenly matched, however Natsu will have a difficult time not being able to eat flames. The two exchange names, and you learn that this creepy blond guy's name is Zancrow, and that somehow Natsu is pretty infamous within the Baram Alliance. Beside you, Carla, Happy, and Lily exchange information about the Baram Alliance, an organization of the strongest dark guilds led by Oracion Seis, Grimoire Heart, and Tartaros.

The two fire wizards continue to fight and throw insults at each other until Zancrow threatens to kill Wendy after he's finished with Natsu. Carla moves in front of the blue-haired Sky Dragon Slayer protectively and Natsu yells at you to get everyone away. Heeding his warning, you grab Wendy's wrist and run while the Exceeds fly after you.

However, you don't get very far when there's a large explosion behind you that sends all of you flying but thankfully, the Exceeds catch you and Wendy and the five of you watch as Zancrow and Natsu unleash the full power of their flame attacks. Zancrow emerges unscathed while Natsu is pushed back, and Wendy and the Exceeds cry out in concern.

Zancrow looks up at the sound, his mouth twisted in a sneer, red eyes glinting with a crazy light. "You cats are getting annoying!" He laughs and sends a torrent of black flame toward your direction. Just before it hits, you put up a defensive barrier but you're already drained and the attack shatters your force field and the fire hits you anyway. Wendy shrieks in pain and all of you fall to the ground, injured.

Natsu is furious and sends another fire attack at Zancrow, which is a mistake. Everyone watches in shock as Zancrow eats Natsu's flames and releases a powerful "Bellow of the Flame God." The entire area is engulfed in a fiery black explosion that blasts you all off the cliff. As you plummet toward the ground 500 feet below, weightless, you hear Zancrow cackling like the crazy lunatic he is and see him standing on a ledge, fists raised triumphantly before your vision fails.

*        *        *

When you come to, you're lying in the center of a crater. Groaning, you sit up and look around, but you can't see Wendy or Natsu anywhere. Strangely, you aren't too badly injured from the fall and you can only hope that everyone else ended up okay as well.