Chapter Sixteen

Abby's eyes slowly opened to a bright light shining in her eyes from her window. She was lying on her back, Kiana snuggled into her side still sleeping soundly. It was Sunday. Her dad was off today too. 

Gently using a finger, she nudged Kiana with a warm smile. "Hey. Good morning. We should get up for breakfast." 

Kiana made a small, groggy whimper and cuddled further into her side, her black tail wrapping around herself before she sat upright quickly. "I-I'm sorry, I'm just a little tired yet miss." She lowered her head nervously until she felt the gentle touch scratching her ears. 

"Calm down. I already promised I wouldn't hurt you anymore." She said softly as she rose to her feet with the Neko in her palms. 

The two went downstairs to find Lily and Caleb sitting at the kitchen table, already dressed and looked like they were ready to leave. "Oh, Abigail, Kiana." Lily's eyes turned to them with a smile. "We're all going to run a few errands today. I don't want to leave you and Kiana here alone after what had happened yesterday."

Abby frowned before nodding. "Yeah, that sounds okay to me. I'll have to get dressed though." Her frown changed into a smile as she placed Kiana gently onto the surface of the table, giving her small cat ears a quick scratch before leaving the room once again.

Kiana's brown eyes turned up to Caleb and Lily. "Master, miss, is it alright if I ask where we are going?"

"It's a surprise," Caleb responded softly, his hand outstretching towards her and dropped a small piece of toast on the table in front of her. "So go ahead and eat."

It was maybe another hour of small talk, eating, and silence from all four of them before each human rose to their feet. "I can carry Kiana and just hold her in my lap," Abby suggested softly with a warm smile as she looked down to Kiana who returned the warm smile with a bright one even though it hurt her lips and cheeks still.

"That sounds just fine. Make sure you don't drop her though, okay? She's still not doing too well." Her mother said calmly as she slung her purse over her shoulder.

"Of course." Abby laughed softly and scooped the small Neko into her palms, cupping her close to herself to assure Kiana and her both that she wouldn't fall on the trip to the car.

Kiana's thoughts were swarming her head. Where were they going? What sort of errands were they going to run? She'd really never been in a store before besides the pet store, and she's downright ecstatic. She can't wait to see what it's like.

Abigail could see how excited Kiana was, and it was honestly extremely cute. Her brown eyes were huge and sparkling, a smile as wide as she could manage with her wounds, and her black ears twitching excitedly. A very slight smile began to cross the teen's face as she leaned back in the car seat, her finger delicately petting the top of the Neko's head.

It was a long half hour drive for the Neko, but when the car finally came to a halt she let out an excited squeal, giggling happily. "Are we there?!" She asked loudly, still giggling.

Soft laughs came from all around the car from the adults and teen, and when Abby unbuckled her seatbelt and picked up the nine-year-old she answered. "Yeah, we're there. Let's go, and I'll be keeping you close. Alright? I really don't want you to get hurt any more than you already are."

And so the four headed into the store, Kiana now perched on Abigail's shoulder, Abigail following close behind her parents as they head into the large mall-like building.

"Alright, you're mature and we trust you. You have your cell phone, why don't you and Kiana head to the Neko area here? Get her some cute clothes or something she'd like. Here's...forty-five dollars, that should be enough to get her a few items. Have fun, we'll meet back here in two hours." Lily placed a gentle kiss on her daughter's forehead before walking off with Caleb.

Kiana's brown eyes looked around the store happily. So many humans, so many things, and o many other rooms. And as she looked up she could see this was only the first floor! There are at least one or two other floors above them. "Oh, Miss Abby! Can we please look around?! Can we?! It's all so big, a-and I've never been in this sort of place before!"

Abigail laughed and smiled down at the young Neko. "Alright, after we pick out a few things from the Neko area, just to make sure we took care of that and don't lose track of time. Okay?" It was easy to forget Kiana was just a child, so when she got excited it reminded her she was also babysitting, not just watching a pet.

"Okay, okay I can't wait!" The Neko laughed happily and wrapped her arms around the teen's hand as they headed towards the escalator that leads to the second floor.