Epilogue: The Last Tale

The banquet continued in a new location in the castle. It was a grand dance hall with music and refreshments.

The Waspkin were being asked to dance and had a lot of trepidation despite their queen's urging them to have fun.

The Lamia eagerly stole away any man within sight.

The Dravenkin mingled around the refreshments.

The Harpies quizzically looked for both Seamus and Greffin who 'mysteriously' vanished.

The Arachne did their best to dance and otherwise mingled with the council and the druids.

And so on...

The atmosphere was pleasant and many nobles were teaching the newcomers how to dance or explaining the food choices.

The banquet was filled with everyone from the ceremony mingling and laughing with one another.

It was picture perfect.

Save for one man.

One tired, hatless, dark haired, eye-patch wearing elf pirate who escaped the night's festivities for the quiet of the balcony overlooking the ocean.

"Thank you," he said as a silver-purple fox ran along the railing and brought him a cup of victa berry tea.

He took a sip, "aaaaaah." He smiled refreshed.

"Are my refreshments not to your satisfaction, Guildmaster?" A voice behind him teased.

Cal laughed nervously. "You found me."

Shayley stepped into view and leaned over the railing with him. "Back in the day, there were many times I saw you make that face. And every time I've always wanted to ask you the same question but was never able to."

"Just one question?"

"What are you thinking about? After I wondered this, amazing things would happen, things I've never heard of or seen before began to appear."

"I'm just thinking about this and that..."

Shayley giggled. "Somehow, I always knew that was your answer."

"Haha, I guess I was always either a chatter box of nonsense or stuck in my own head."

She giggled, "You still are..." and then she sighed.

Cal finished his tea as he watched her muster her courage. "Cal, can we go somewhere? There is a question I'd like to ask you, in private."

Cal held out his hand, when she took it he cast a spell on both of them.

[Greater Shadow Step]

Together, they leapt from the balcony and swiftly bypassed the city streets until they were out on the beach completely unseen by anyone.

The sun was beginning to crest on the horizon. The salty sea breeze couldn't snuff the smell of victa berries and lemon grass. Rays of reds and oranges teased against purples.

They walked for a time, just holding hands listening to the waves crash against the sands.

"I always dreamed of this." Shayley broke the silence, her voice was soft as if she might undo the magic of the moment if she were careless. "I'd stare at this beach watching lovers exchanging sweet nothings. I wondered for two hundred years... if I'd ever get to experience this moment with mine... "

Snf.

"Shayley..."

Cal stopped and wiped away a few of her tears.