Chapter 18

.-. . ..- -. .. --- -.

~~~

My steps are light as I make my way down to the kitchen. I desperately hope not to wake my parents. My dad has to leave early this morning for work, and my mom is off work today. I hoped to get some well-earned sleep today, but no such luck.

Despite being back in my own bed, the nightmares came back, this time reflecting Milo's attack. Distorted versions of that day replayed in my mind. And there's no Nightwing to comfort me. Pine follows me downstairs, as usual. I lean down to give him a quick pet.

I open the fridge and pull out some leftover pizza (I steal a few bacon bits off of another slice and put them on my plate). I heat up the two slices. I head to the couch, and Pine wags his tail, wishing to join me. I shake my head and make him go on. I hate to do it, but I'm not one for sharing food. I eat my bacon pepperoni pizza in silence, not wanting to wake my dad. I look over my shoulder and glance out the window. It's still dark, but I can see the hint of dawn on the horizon. I'm used to waking up at this hour. It's almost a ritual, my nightmares waking me and me quietly getting a snack to distract me from my thoughts.

Two days ago, I stood in this room, telepathically communicating with my parents. After we finished our long hug, I told them it was only temporary. They looked disappointed, but were understanding.

"Maybe we can convince M'gann to move in," Dad joked with a laugh.

That's what I said, I replied.

I hear footsteps and sigh. Of course my mother woke up. I see her climb down the stairs and find me in the living room. Her hair is a mess, like mine. She still has sleep in her eyes.

"Hey Will," she says. "Why are you up so early?"

"Bad dream again," I reply. My mom releases a sympathetic sigh. She takes a seat on the cough next to me and wraps her arms around me while stroking my hair.

"I'm sorry, dear," she says. "I thought you said they were going away."

"They were," I respond. I tell her about the dream, and retell the story of Milo's attack. I even tell her what happened with Nightwing. She gives me a grin that makes me immediately regret my decision. I can't decide if I'd rather her be angry. I roll my eyes, knowing exactly what's going on in her head.

"Do you think he's cute?" she asks bluntly. I'm taken about by her question.

"Of course not," I tell her. "I mean- I guess he's attractive, but I don't like him like that."

"Whatever you say, hon," Mom says. I give her a playful shove.

I hear footsteps on the stairs, and I go to greet my dad, if only to change the subject of conversation.

"Morning, Willow," he greets with a yawn. He's already dressed for work, so he's way ahead of my mom and I. My parents share a quick kiss and head to the kitchen. My mom starts making eggs while my dad pulls out bacon to cook. I take my pizza to the table to finish it off. Pine makes his rounds, begging each of us for food.

When breakfast is ready, my parents bring it to the table and we dig in. After a few minutes of small talk, I take a deep breath and finally break the news.

"I want to join the Team."

It takes a moment for my parents to understand. They give each other a look I can't decipher. I don't think it's a good sign. They don't say anything for what seems like a lifetime, and the silence is unbearable.