| chapter four |

' she easily got jealous
when it came to them '

' she easily got jealous when it came to them '

NIGHT HAD FALLEN FAST UPON FORKS. No more than an hour ago the sky was painted with hues of red, orange and pink, but all colour had faded leaving only a matt black canvas with no stars to be looked upon. The darkness was thick and the fire that was put together with the help of Jacob, who provided the wood, and Benjamin, who helped create the fire, helped create warmth for the non-vampires.

Other than the darkness and the group, all that seemed to exist was the chilly wind that's harsh bite could be felt through Jacob's thick warm coat. He could feel the hairs on his arm raised, and the bite of the wind had left its mark in the form of small bumps that were tingling on his arms.

"That's what I'm talkin' about. A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories." Jacob said as he sat down next to Benjamin on the log. The two watched as the other vampires stood still. "Or just standing there like frickin' statues." Garrett quickly comes and sits down on the log opposite the fire.

"Name any American battle. I was there." Garrett said as he placed a hand on his knee.

"Little Bighorn."

"I came this close to biting Custer." gestured Garrett with his fingers. "But the Indians got him first." Kate then spins around and sits on Garrett's lap.

"Try Oleg's assault on Constantinople. He didn't win that one on his own." The Irish vampires sat on their own log soon after.

"If you're talking battles, you're talking the Eleven Years' War," said one of the Irish vampires, Liam. "No one does rebellion like the Irish."

"You lost the Eleven Years' War," Garett said as he rose a brow, his arm wrapped around his mate's waist.

"Aye. But it was one hell of a rebellion." Brooke barked out a laugh as she nodded her head.

"Yes, I remember that," she chuckled, running a hand through her hair. The other vampires soon sat around the fire as well.

"When we ruled, everything came to us." Vladimir started as his brother sat next to him. They began to talk about their time as kings. "Prey, diplomats, favour-seekers. Such was our power. But we never put on white hats and called ourselves saints."

"We were honest about what we were," Stefan said as he looked at everyone.

"We sat still for a very long time. We didn't notice we were beginning to petrify." A tone of sadness was laced in Vladimir's voice.

"Perhaps the Volturi did us a favour when they burned our castles." Brooke felt sympathy for the brothers. They lost everything.

"We've been waiting 1,500 years to return that favour," Vladimir said, his hands curled into fists. "We have been ready to do battle for ages." Brooke held Vladimir's hand in reassurance.

"If it does come down to a fight, I will make sure you get your revenge." The blonde vowed, her eyes filled with honesty and determination. The two brothers flashed her a smile full of thanks. She nodded at them before standing up and walking over to her best friend, who just finished talking with Carlisle. "So, this is it, huh?" Brooke lent against the tree as they continued to watch the other vampires tell war stories.

"You know, I never got to thank you for always sticking by my side." A light laugh broke out of Brooke's mouth as she crossed her arms, pressing one foot against the tree bark.

"I will always be by your side, Edward." She smiled at him and moved over, placing her hand on his shoulder. Edward grinned and set his hand on hers. They stood like that for a while until Brooke caught a glance of Bella leaving the blue tent. The blonde flashed the brunette a smile before walking over to the tent.

"Hey, Ness." She greeted the hybrid as she stepped in, crawling to her side. The bronze-haired child smiled and turned around, wrapping her arms around the blonde. Brooke smiled and used her powers to emit heat off of her once she saw the child shiver from the cold. Renesmee gave the vampire a sleepy grin before snuggling into her side, her eyes dropping as she welcomed the open embrace of sleep.

A small smile tugged at the side of Brooke's lips, a warm feeling igniting in her chest as her eyes fluttered closed. She let her guard down, her body at peace from not having to on a constant alert.