Chapter I

"Are you ready?" I heard behind me and I turned my head in time to see Andrew walking inside the bathroom, while fixing his tie. I was used to having him around, by now. That's what you do when you're married to a stranger. You learn to coexist, I suppose.

It's been a long year since I said 'I do' but those words have never sounded more bittersweet than they did now. I had accepted this whole ordeal, but in the end, I knew I had not thought this through. Now, here I was, completely tortured day and night, and not a single chance of ending this mockery any time soon.

"Almost" I said softly. I finished applying mascara and stepped back to take a quick look at my whole outfit. Simple long sleeve white cocktail dress with an exposed back and simple white strappy heels. This will do.

"We're going to be late if we don't leave now" Andrew murmured, his eyes connecting with mine in the mirror. I smiled, but it looked like a grimace.

Andrew stepped towards me, put a hand on the small of my back, making my back straighten up, and leaned in to kiss my temple.

Like always, I pulled away slightly, avoiding his lips to come in contact with any part of my body.

Andrew inhaled quietly, making it obvious this bothered him, then stepped away from me and walked out of the bathroom without another word.

Just get through the evening and then you can go back to ignoring each other...

I sighed and gave myself another encouraging smile before turning around and exiting the room. There I found Andrew pouring himself a glass of whiskey and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

Hes starting early today. Great.

"Car's upfront" he murmured and motioned me to start walking. I walked past him and exited the house quietly, Andrew right behind me, whiskey glass in hand. The driver opened the door to the black car and I hopped in, trying to sit as close to the door as possible.

I should have about two hours before he starts feeling the effects of alcohol.

I felt his hand touch mine, making me jump slightly, and my eyes flew down to our hands then up to his strikingly handsome face. His eyes were centered on my hands so I looked down to see what he was looking at. Realization hit me.

He was making sure I was wearing my ring.

Andrew hated when I didn't wear my rings for public outings, as he considered them a disrespect to him. 'It's like you want the world to think you're single' he would say during our arguments. But no, that wasn't it at all. I didn't want to feel like I was lying to myself when in reality this ring was the only thing keeping me from ending this whole thing. That and the fact that I had been prohibited to end this at all cost.

Not that it had been said so blatantly, but it was implied, and that was enough for me. I forced myself to keep my hand where it was, trying to level things with him because the last thing I wanted was an argument with him at the Hatford's.

Twenty-five minutes later we were pulling up at the mansion I used to visit so often in my childhood. It was a very big manor made from white stone with multiple levels and a grand entrance. We rounded the marvelous fountain until we reached the front doors where the usual employee was waiting to open the door. Andrew followed me quickly after chugging the rest of his whiskey, and after a cringing moment, he laced his hand with mine and pulled us inside. The sound of a violin and piano met my ears and I knew they had their musicians over for the evening.

"Oh darling, I'm so happy you were able to make it!" I heard a sweet voice to my left and saw Mrs. Hatford coming my way, her brilliant smile not faltering for one second. She was like a second mother to me after all the years we've known each other. Same with Mr. Hatford and their daughter Alexandra, who was now my best friend.