Chapter IV

"We have to talk" Nate said in a low tone, his green eyes set on mine. I chuckled humorlessly and fought
the humongous eye roll I had in store.

"Thanks for the statement, captain obvious" I murmured, eyes narrowed at him. He matched my expression and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"Scarlett-"

"I tried to talk to you today and you kicked me out of the office as if I was a nobody. What is wrong with you?" I asked, frowning deeply. Nate sighed slightly, his eyes on the floor for a moment.

"I have so much to tell you, but you just wouldn't wait, and then Kendrick-"

"Andrew-" I corrected

Nate punched the counter, cutting me off midsentence, making my heart jump. As if the mere mentioning of Andrew ticked him off completely.

"Nate, what the hell" I whispered. His eyes were set on his clenched fist.

"We have to talk" he said and I nodded.

"You already said that" I murmured. He sighed and looked up at the ceiling.

"Right. I just, I can't think straight-" he started but I cut him off

"What do you mean?" I asked in a whisper. Nate shook his head and sighed again

"It's just...We have to talk. But not here. Tomorrow, come to the office at noon." he rushed the words out, stepping in my direction. I was frozen in place, so when his hand was placed on my hip something within me lit up. My body felt like jelly, a warming sensation blossoming in my stomach.

What the hell...

"What is going on here?"

We sprung apart, Nate jumping away faster than me, and turning around, running his hand through his hair.

Andrew had finally followed me.

"Nothing, Andrew. We were just talking" I murmured to man I called my husband. He narrowed his eyes, but not at me. At Nate.

"Come back to the table, Scarlett" He said, and he wrapped his sticky hands around my wrist in a painful grip.

I gasped slightly, but it was so low Nate didn't hear.

He did turn around though, and his eyes were on Andrew, studying him. Then his eyes lowered to where Andrew was holding me and back up.

Oh hell no

"Let's go back to the table. Your parents are asking questions" Andrew said in my ear, and I nodded slowly. I let him pull me away, but I turned my head slightly, my eyes meeting Nate's for a moment

There was something there. And I felt like a bomb was about to be dropped around here.

~.~.~.

I could barely sleep at night. I had been turning and tossing, and my mind would not shut up. What did Nate have to say to me? Why so secretive?

When the sun came out, I was already jumping from the bed, secretly glad that I didn't share a room with Andrew. I jumped in the shower, trying to rush as much as I could. I couldn't wait till noon, not if I didn't want Andrew asking questions. I needed to be out before he wakes up.

I hurried to the closet, and put on some yoga pants, t-shirt, and my blue Nike. Snatching my purse and keys, I dashed towards the door, and tip toed the whole way to the house entrance.

Then I heard steps coming from the hallway.

"Where are you going?" Andrew asked, and I froze in place.