Chapter XXVI

NATE'S POV

I couldn't stay seated. The image replayed in my head over and over again. I don't even know how she was still alive. I knew I should've grabbed her by the force and pull her away from the street. But I had wanted to give her space, I never thought she would be so distracted.

I ran my fingers through my head, sighing out loud and trying to stay calm. Nurses and doctors rushed from one place to another. But none was Scarlett's doctor. No, he was still with her. Because she was fighting for her life, right?

It's been hours since we arrived at the hospital and I still haven't gotten any news. I needed to know that she was alive. I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to her.

My hands felt sweaty, and I had to lean against a wall when I thought about the pain she must be going through right now, the pain she must've felt when that car struck her.

Flash back

My stomach dropped when I saw how the SUV hit her. She didn't fly, no. The SUV ran her over and her body was trapped under until it passed over.
Her name was still in my lips as I rant to her lifeless body and dropped to my knees. There was blood everywhere; her face, her neck, her torso. I was scared to touch her, but I couldn't help but cup her cheek.

"Scarlett, baby wake up. Look at me"

People started to circle and watch what was happening

"Call 911!" I found myself screaming. The guy that ran her over jumped from his vehicle and started shouting how he didn't see her, that she came out of nowhere, pulling a phone from his pocket and dialing.

But I didn't care what he had to say, my eyes were solely on her, trying to catch a glimpse of her breathing. She was unmoving and looking down I saw how her leg was bent in an unnatural angle. Why was there so much blood?

I took my jacket off in a desperate attempt to hurry up and make her as comfortable as possible but a hand wrapped around my arm and stopped me. My eyes glued upwards and I saw Moore.

"Let me go! She needs a doctor and she's in pain!" I shouted, trying to rip my arm away from Moore's grasp.

"You cant move her! There's an ambulance on its way" Moore said and tried to get people to move our of way. My desperation was overwhelming, I felt helpless. I quit trying to move her but reached out and tried to find a pulse with my finger on her neck. It was weak, but it was there.

"Scarlett, hold on a little bit longer. The ambulance is coming, baby. Please. You can't die on me yet, we didn't put this fight just to end like this. Open your eyes please" I kept saying over and over again. I didn't know I had been crying until a drop splashed her bloody cheek. It felt like an eternity when the ambulance finally arrived. There was a commotion in the street and cops had showed up to close the way. Paramedics rushed towards us and tried to push me off, to get to Scar. Moore pulled me to my feet as I felt my nauseous from the view. She looked dead.

So much blood.

Once they stabilized her with IV and put a neck collar, they slipped a surf-looking table under her body to boost her up.

"Sir are you her husband?" one of the paramedics asked.

"Yes" I didn't hesitate, and the paramedic asked me if I was going in the ambulance with them. Of course I was.

I just needed her to live. Even if she never talked to me again.

Please God, save her.

END of Flashback