Chapter 19

A/N: When talking I've changed the writing to be better understandable. Nathaniel talking through his mind will be this and the Soul Weapon talking will be this. This won't be spoken out loud which is my main point.

Nathaniel:

My body was so sore that it hurt to even move. Lily had visited me while I'd been talking to Damon about the Soul Weapon. She'd looked lovely in a pure black top and a silver skirt interlaced with golden stars, albeit covered in blood. Even with the blood added she still exuded kindness. After giving me Cores she didn't stay long.

Once she'd left the room, Damon had continued with our conversation. 

"How much control do you have over it?"

"Nightmare has barely accepted me as its holder. Remarking that I'm 'barely passable'."

Some Soul Weapons can gain enough intelligence to talk where as others will give off slight emotions. The more the blade is fed the more sentience they gain. With how well Nightmare can speak and interact, it was obvious that it had shed a lot of blood previously. 

"Would you be able to call it forth on command?"

"I don't think so. Not at the moment at least. Our ties aren't solid yet."

With that I tried to coax Nightmare out.

"I call forth my Scythe, Nightmare!"

"I'm too exhausted and there will be no blood. I refuse, human."

Frustration settled in the pit of my stomach. I gave Damon a look that showed exactly what was going on before letting him know Nightmare's response.

"I see. He said he'd come out if there was blood? Would you like to go on your first mission to test him out?"

My interest was piqued. 

"I would but would you mind if I cleaned myself first?"

He raised an eyebrow at me, "Wouldn't that be counterproductive? You will simply be covered in the blood of your enemies by the time we return. It would be best to clean when we get back."

It was a valid point. 

"Very well. Who are we going to test Nightmare on?"

"Clearly the people who maltreated you."

"Nightmare, will you assist me in killing my tormentors?"

"It would be my pleasure to take so many people's lives."

When we'd created a Soul Link to one another, Nightmare had gained my memories. Although he was a weapon and usually wouldn't have human emotions, once he created that Link he gained the ones I had. In a sense, my pain was his pain. It made for a better weapon to feel their owners pain. Made them want to be strong enough to prevent their Master's from harm. 

"Before I take you to test your Soul Weapon, I need to make sure you have simple escaping abilities if need be."

He lifted his hand and tapped a finger to my forehead. Ugh. Why is everything to do with Damon filled with pain. Shards of glass ripped through my head, or so it seemed, as soon as he touched my forehead. Instructions on how to manipulate Shadows for an easy maneuverability was being cataloged as I pushed through the pain.

Information on how to manipulate the Shadow Element to shift to another location popped up inside my head. There were also some techniques that made it easier to utilize muscles he hadn't built up yet. 

"These should be enough for now. What I want is for you to learn how to handle Nightmare. The next information I'll be giving you is ways to handle your weapon. Seeing how you're still tiny I highly doubt that you'll be proficient in them at the moment. Do as you see fit."

His hand fell down on top of my head instead of the tap he'd given to my forehead previously. This time it was so painful that I ended up fainting. 

When my eyes opened I had to blink to clear the fuzz out of them. I groaned at the pain pounding behind my eyes. 

"It was merely a bit of pain. Stop  whining."

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one who just had their brain turned to mush."

"*Snort*"

"How can you even snort? You're a weapon."

He didn't deign me with a response so I turned my focus on the unusually still Assassin near the window. Damon stood there staring out the balcony into the night. There was still a few more hours until sunrise. 

"Do you recall where you were being held?"

My heart pounded as I tried not to show the fear those thoughts invoked. Damon turned to me with a head tilt and a curve to his mouth.

"Best way to overcome this childish fear is to destroy it. Now I ask again, do you know where the location is?"

"No," I said barely above a whisper.

Damon's eyes hardened. "I'll just rip it from your head then."

Before I could react he was suddenly in front of me again and set both hands on the sides of my face before I felt a tug at my memories. Memories of the many tortures I went through begun to play in my head. I felt every lash, every strike, every broken bone, every tear to my skin as he sifted through them to find the location.

When he stumbled upon the last memories of that place he slowed down the recollection. Then it finally stopped.

"I've pinpointed the location. I'll need to set up an array using my Shadow Magic. During that time get yourself together."

He left me there panting through the pain of my past. Cold sweat covered my body and the only thing I could do was curl in to myself to give comfort. 

Without warning Nightmare curved itself around my waist. Surprisingly the blade was covered in magic to give a cushion in order to avoid slicing through me. 

"Alright. Stop sniveling. I'll be here to protect you."

"Thanks, Nightmare."

All I got was another snort in return.

A/N: Nightmare looks like a typical 'Death' Scythe but it's capable of shrinking and changing into a smaller version that resembles a Scythe used for farming corn. Like the Children of the Corn. lol. Anyways, it's a very smart Soul Weapon and usually devours the people who try to build a connection with it. That's why it's so smart. ;) The reason why Nathaniel could form a contract with it is because of how strong his mental abilities are, his magical elements, and the fact that he was subjected to so much abuse that the pain given to him from the Scythe basically wasn't half as bad as what he was previously subjected to.