Chapter 30

A/N:  I've hit Chapter 30 which is a huge surprise to me since I had originally started writing this as a sort of 'gag' story. Once I realized how well people were taking it though, I decided to get serious in releasing chapters. Thanks for all the support I've been giving. Any feedback is appreciated, even if you want to be a huge a-hole. ;) Enjoy. 

Lily:

Nathaniel looked uncomfortable as he was attacked by Connie and her intense way of finding clothes suitable specifically for each customer. What looks good on one will look terrible on another. She was that good at what she did. 

Her shop was rather small and consisted of a room the size of a closet or a changing room with the three walls and door covered in floor to ceiling mirrors. This room was used for when the Customer tried on clothing so that they could get the over all look. 

What set her shop, Custom Fit, apart from other clothing shops was that not a single shred of clothing was visible in the front of the store. It was more reminiscent of a Zen Garden or a place you sought to embrace tranquility. Vines crawled up the walls and ceiling with flowers interspersed. On the ceiling, the flowers, a deep violet in color, hung down and provided light. Where pollen would usually be was actually a source of light called Luminess

Every time I entered her shop, the plants seemed to rejoice and glow a little brighter. Connie once said 'I'm only your friend so you visit my shop and ensure that I won't need to replace my light source every six months'. Flos Lucidum, the name of this specific plant, doesn't live that long and is usually only used as a light source in homes. My Nature Magic revitalized it though which is why Connie hadn't needed to replace them yet. 

"After Nathaniel gets fitted it'll be your turn," I turned to look at the boy next to me. His black hair was greasy and unkempt. Wonder why I hadn't noticed that before we'd left?

"Okay," Vincent responded simply. I sighed internally at how little emotion I could see inside the boy. Actually, on closer observation, it was more as though he didn't understand emotions than not having any. 

"That woman is a Demon," Nathaniel said tiredly as he stumbled slightly pale towards us. I reached out to pat his head in understanding. Connie did get overly exuberant when she decided to create clothes, especially ones for children. 

The woman in question was too busy pulling out fabrics and examining them. To my untrained eyes they both looked EXACTLY the same but the last time I said something like that Connie had chewed my head off about the subtle differences and how if you make one wrong decision it could create a catastrophe.. After that I decided to just agree with whatever she said. 

She begun working on a design for the clothes to be worn by Nathaniel. 

"I've got a question: Are you looking for clothes to cover your Markings or to put them on display," Connie turned and asked Nathaniel, bypassing my opinion but I didn't take offense. 

Nathaniel:

When Connie had asked about what I'd like to wear, I'd been slightly shocked. My first reaction was to look at Lily  for any signs of anger or impatience. When all I could see was acceptance and a smile I decided to answer.

"I'd like some in both. As for the colors and fabrics," I trailed off as I looked at the numerous pieces of fabric cut into squares and held on a ring. My fingers drifted over an amazing soft material and paused as I looked down. 

"What is this material?" At my questioning look both females looked to what my hand was touching. 

Lily's smile grew wider, "That's the Steel Silk from a Metallic Arachnid."

"It sounds expensive," I took my fingers away from the material quickly. Lily frowned at me. 

"Connie it looks like he wants his clothes in that material. Don't mind the cost. It's a material that would be well used on those who are constantly fighting," she paused and looked at me, "Somehow I feel you'll need them."

Her hand stroked my hair as she led Vincent to stand on the small stage I'd just vacated. Connie smiled at me as she retrieved the ring of material. 

"Don't feel so self conscious about things with Lily. She's the least judgmental and the most gentle person I know," she gave me a wink as she went to go and measure Vincent. 

It wasn't that I was worried Lily would be upset with me or anything but for the past ten years I've lived worse than a dog. Without food nor water, let alone clothes of my  own, it had been ingrained on me that I was unworthy of such things. This was taking some getting used to. 

It was one thing to get used to Damon's training and killing but to accept kindness from Lily was proving to be my hardest task. I could understand pain, blood, and death but hugs, gentleness, and kindness was proving to be a hurdle I'd been struggling to overcome. 

I turned my attention back to Lily and Vincent and couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips. Vincent stood there like a doll as Connie twisted him back and forth, side to side, and started flapping his arms like a chicken. The image was ridiculous but what made it all the more hilarious was the fact that Vincent never even twitched a muscle in protest throughout. As if this was just normal procedure. 

Maybe his way was more effective though because it took him a quarter of the time it had me, in order to step off that damning stage. 

"Vincent what material do you want," Lily asked as she handed over the ring of materials. He didn't look at it though, just merely said 'same'. 

It took everyone a bit in order to understand. 

"Do you mean the same as mine," I questioned.

He nodded his head as if to say 'of course. What else could I have meant'. Clearly we were the dumb ones here. 

Lily coughed and couldn't help a small laugh that she hid behind her hand. 

"Connie, it looks like both boys will be having clothes made from this material. Since Vincent hasn't come into his magic yet though, make his just normal children clothing. Do you know when it'll be finished?"

"I can have them made in a few hours if I don't make them the old fashioned way."

Which meant that she'd be using her magic in order to give us our clothes. 

"That sounds lovely. Can you come over for the money when you're finished. I'd rather not discuss it in front of them. Bring the little one with you as well. I'm sure Helena would be happy to have her 'favorite sister' over for dinner."

Connie laughed in, what appeared to me, an overly exaggerated way. "No worries. We'll be over as soon as I complete this. Be safe on your way back. It was nice meeting you two boys."

I nodded my head in thanks and Vincent just stared so I pulled his hand and made way towards the outside of the store. 

Maybe we should wait to bring Vincent out only after we teach him how to act like a normal person.