Chapter 29

A/N: I don't know where this story is going but I'm flowing along the currents. As a side note, my favorite Jelly Beans are the Popcorn type. What's yours? lol.

Damon:

My feet stepped foot inside of the Medical wing and immediately I could sense the malice and corruption flowing out of Nicola. Numerous Doctors were frantically discussing with one another on ways to fix the woman who was obviously dying. 

Her skin had begun to turn sickly pallid with pink tinged sweat soaking her thoroughly. When she heard my approach her eyes fluttered open on a grimace. Her eyes flinched with pain as she focused on me. 

"You're here," she croaked out through a sore throat. 

"Yes. I've been told you had a rather difficult time with the Anderson case."

She laughed sardonically as if to say 'Do I look like I had a 'rather difficult' time'. 
"I had no idea," she sarcastically responded. 

"I've arrived to hear a report from you although to be quite frank, you don't appear to have the strength for much of anything, even a report."

A glare was sent my way before she cleared her throat. "Give me some water," she spoke around the growing scream I could see building up inside of her. 

One of the doctors bustled about to accommodate her. While that was happening another Doctor stepped up next to me. 

"She's not going to make it," he whispered so only I could hear, "We took a sample of her blood and tissue in order to verify what's happening. Unfortunately, it'll take at least a week in order for us to produce an antidote or a reverse procedure to undo what is happening. At the accelerated rate her organs are deteriorating, she'll be dead within 48 hours but it'll be a slow torture. It would be best to put her out of her misery."

Looking at Nicola, I knew the Doctor spoke the truth. I'd never actually gotten around to memorize all the staff working here so I merely nodded towards the Doctor in understanding. 

Nicola took large gulps of water with shaky hands from the pain before handing it back to the Doctor. I was shocked she hadn't dropped the glass.

"I'll try to give you as much details as possible," she begun, "Knowing how everyone before had failed the mission on Assassinating the Anderson Family, I made sure to prepare back up contingencies."

She had the grace to be embarrassed and I understood why. One of the main things taught to everyone here was that they use one weapon their entire life. If something can't be done with your weapon than you need to train more, not add 'cheats'.

I nodded for her to continue. "Well, I bought some Runes and a few Array sheets that had multiple uses."

Array Sheets could have built in offensive magic, defensive magic, and the really expensive ones would pinpoint the opponents weakness and use it to attack. 

"So I made sure to have those in case I found myself in a bad situation," she slightly mumbled in defense to her blatant disregard for the number one rule being broken. It didn't matter to me though since she'd be dead soon and what she was going through was enough punishment as is.

"Continue," I urged at the now quiet woman. It was obvious she was battling the pain wracking her body but I needed the information before I could send her off.

From the deadened look she gave me, I knew she was well aware of where she was and had already given up on survival. 

"Everything was going smoothly. So much so that I had to wonder why no one else had been able to complete the Mission before. I'd been making my way to the Master's bedroom to finish the job when a smell hit me. It smelt like bottled addiction with a hint of death. That's the best way to describe it. Out of curiosity I went to investigate and ended up in front of a door across from the Master Bedroom. 

Everything happened too fast to make sense of completely. Before I even opened the door it had swung inwards and a glowing red light was the only thing to break up the pitch black interior. It felt like I was in a trance and then something shrouded in shadows was in front of me. All I could see were the glowing red eyes as it leaned into me for a kiss," she began to blush as she finished. With my keen observation I knew it was because not only had she not completed the Mission first before 'investigating' but because she had grown distracted enough to allow whoever attacked her an opening. 

I gave her a leveled stare that she knew all too well. By the further paling of her skin I could see she understood how displeased I was with her. 

"That's all? It doesn't explain how you escaped or how you 'Completed' the Mission."

She flinched at my irritation as well as the pain she was in. I could see her stomach had begun to sink inwards from her organs slowly deteriating. 

Her voice was slightly breathy as she answered, "While the thing was kissing me I pulled out my family's heirloom Array. It's supposed to be a life saving item. Whatever it did worked though because as soon as I used my Magic to activate it, my vision filled with white. It was too bright to keep my eyes open but when the light left and I opened my eyes... the entire wing I'd been standing in had vanished."

"It vanished? As in, completely gone?"

"No, not completely gone," she took large gulps of breath as fat drops of sweat dripped into her eyes, "They'd turned into ruins. The Master bedroom had been leveled and two bodies had exploded as well. That's why I said the Mission was completed."

"Let me just go over this again. Something obscured in shadows with glowing red eyes made out with you, you used a family heirloom and practically blew up the house?"

"That sounds about right," she slightly nodded her head. 

My head hurt. It wasn't that much details and now that she had destroyed the place there wouldn't be that many clues I could look for to understand why there had been a Demon inside their house. Demon's were supposed to have been extinct, hunted down and killed by all the other creatures of the land. So, why was there one clearly alive and the Anderson family hosting it inside of their house? Did our 'Customer' know that there had been a Demon inside?

My eyes hardened. Looks like I'll need to send Nate and Nico to look into our Customer's background. 

I turned my attention back to the weary woman with her dingy green hair who lay drained on the sanitary bed. 

"Nicola, we can't save you," I bluntly said.

She just looked at me and gave a weak smile. "I know. I'm not as deaf as you guys think," she gave me and the Doctor who'd spoken to me a pointed look. 

"Since you've given us valuable information and have provided samples to help create a countermeasure for the future, I'll give you choices. You can either wait and see if you can hold off on falling into madness or death while the Potion Users procure an antidote and reverse procedure for your predicament. Or you can have someone close to you send you off. Since you've done me a service I will give you this last choice. I will personally send you off."

It sounded like something that wouldn't be a good choice but to my Assassins this was the highest honor to allow their Master to kill them.

Nicola gave me a weak, pain filled smile. "I'd like for Master Damon to send me off if it's not too much trouble. If this is how I feel right now, I don't want to imagine what it'll be like in another hour or two."

I gave her a short nod and gathered my Dark Element into my hand to form into the shape of a sword. Standing above her prone form I spoke up, "Shut your eyes. I don't want to see if they will continue to stay open after death or not."

She agreed and did as I said. The Dark Sword raised and was positioned over her heart before I pushed down, spreading the magic into her body in order to sever her ties to this world. 

Blood bubbled from her mouth as she choked and then gave a shuddering last breath. I released my hold on the Magic and watched my sword vanish from her body. 

The doctors slightly bowed in respect for the life of an Assassin which I found amusing. 

"Clean this up and incinerate her. Put her ashes with the others."

There were sounds of agreement as I turned and walked out of the doors. 

It looked like I needed to go speak to someone about who ordered the deaths of the Anderson Family.