Chapter Forty One

Check out the trailer for my new story Darker Than Sin! (Thanks to the amazing @ADreamingReality)

--------------------

Dedication: Kawaiisupergirl for your comments <3

Recap:

The wind is knocked out of my lungs. The choking sound in my throat blisters my ears as I claw at his foot. The pressure, it's too much.

I'm going to die.

The harder I try to breathe, the worst the pain gets.

"Boss, let's go," one of the men insists, but Carlos' eyes are wild and dangerous. The words go through one ear and straight out the other.

My entire body sags against the ground. Darkness beads across my vision, swallowing me whole.

The last thing I picture in my mind, is her.

--------------------

"I thought you had plans tonight?"

Me too, I think sourly as I stomp past mum.

"Plans changed." The bitterness is embedded in my voice as I reach for the juice and drink straight from the carton.

"You do realise we all drink that?" Mum asks me, quirking her eyebrow.

"Yes," I reply sharply, before marching out of the kitchen, feeling like a moody brat.

While I mount the stairs, I ring Miles again, only for it to go straight to his voicemail.

I'm beginning to feel sick.

I don't know what I want more - to scream, to cry, or to have a drink. Possibly all three.

A part of me wants to rush over to the party, to see if he's there. To see if history is really repeating itself, while the other half of me has given up. I want to sit in the corner of my room and rock back and forth.

Deciding to go with neither, I collapse onto the mattress and stare at the ceiling, feeling exhausted.

I could go to his house, but if he's there and not with me, that would make me appear even more pathetic.

If something has happened to him... I will never forgive myself.

Suddenly, I leap to my feet. I'm going back to school. I'll see if his bike is there and then I will decide what to do.

With new-found determination, I rush downstairs, hoping I'm not too late.

***

Miles' POV:

Minutes might have passed. Maybe even hours. All I know, is that I'm going to die, if I don't get up.

Screaming through my teeth, I push myself onto my knees. My arms shake so violently that I dig my fingers into the dirt, to stop myself passing out. I squeeze my eyes shut, begging my body to give me the strength to get to a hospital.

After a few minutes of trying, I finally get to my feet. White hot pain spurs my side and I see black. I double over, clutching my side.

My breath is coming out in short, fast pants. I glance towards the parking lot. It's so far and even if I make it, I am in no condition to ride my bike. I don't think I could even swing my leg over to the other side.