Gothy lip action

Dean

It had been a week since the mythic kiss had happened and I had become hyper aware of Axel's presence. I had finally learned his name when his friend, Bones, had yelled it across the hall and Axel had yelled Bones back. Whenever he was in the room, I could instantly sense it and, sure enough, I would find the edgy man-god stood there in all of his glory, with his cold stare. It often turned to a dopey smile whenever he caught me looking at him. 

Since we didn't share any classes, it came increasingly obvious why I had never noticed him before. I only ever got to see him in passing, as we crossed paths in the corridor, and he was always surrounded by that group of friends.

He hadn't made a move to talk to me and I'd pretty much assumed that the kiss was a one off, much to my secret disappointment. Although, in one respect, I didn't know what I would do if he did want something more from me. I wasn't sure if I was ready to come out about my bisexuality; I hadn't even told my mum yet. 

I was too nervous to tell anyone, in case I was treated differently. I had been harbouring my secret for years, ever since Jeremiah had caused my gay awakening one hot, shirtless summer. My parents weren't conservative or old fashioned, so I don't think they'd take it particularly badly, but I could always be wrong and that scared me to no end. I don't think I could deal with losing my parents like that, so I had never taken the risk in telling them.

"Dean, you've been in such a strange mood all week." My best friend, Adam, pointed out, "Are you upset about the breakup? You were literally together a week and you broke up with her; get it together."

"No, no, I'm fine. I have really thought about Kate much at all this week." I shrugged, pulling out my lunch and taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Well, you'll never guess what happened yesterday when you had to miss training for your dentist appointment." Adam started, "That gothy kid, Axel, the really tall emo, punk, whatever guy, in our year? He showed up to our training yesterday and sat on the bleachers the whole time. It was super weird, it was like he was waiting for someone."

My mouth went dry. Axel went to my football training? A grin played on my lips, but I bit my lip to push it down. He had come to look for me. I could hit myself over the head for not going to the only practice that actually mattered. I wonder what he wanted? Should I try and find him, or should I play it cool and let him find me? 

It was Friday today and I had dinner over at Jeremiah's house tonight. My mum was really friendly with Jeremiah's Mum so they always made time to catch us every couple of weeks. I decided I would let Axel find me; he seemed to already know that I was at football training on Thursdays, so he could find me there, whereas I hardly knew anything about the guy.

"Axel? What's he like?" I asked Adam, trying to be subtle with my curiosity.

"I mean, I don't know him. I only know his name because someone on the team pointed him out yesterday." Adam shrugged and I sighed, dead end. 

It seemed that nobody knew anything other than his name.

"That's strange." I played it down and quickly swapped the conversation, "Are we meeting up Saturday at the mall?"

"Yeah, dude. I have to buy some new jeans. I tore a hole in my black ones playing football in the park." Adam sighed.

They were his favourite pair, so I patted his back comfortingly.

"Why were you at the park?" I frowned, we hadn't hung out together.

I pretended to be outraged at him.

 "Are you bro-cheating on me?"

"Bro, it's not what you think. We just bumped into each other there: old friends. He doesn't mean anything to me, bro. You're the only bro for me." Adam played along, deepening his voice  to impersonate the macho type.

"No, bro. Not cool. I don't think I can continue being your bro in a relationship based on lies." I sighed, shaking my head.

"Speaking of lies, there's a rumour going around that Axel showed up to the kissing booth while you were on duty." Adam teased while wiggling his eyebrows, "Get some gothy lip action, did we? I must admit, he is rather attractive in a spooky way. Good for you."

I tried to fight off the blush but I couldn't. Adam was only joking but what he didn't know was that I actually did get some 'gothy lip action' from Axel. He thought it was only rumours but it was so much more than that; it was hot touches and me trying to use my mums concealer for the next week to cover up the love bites. 

Adam was the straightest guy I knew, so even him calling Axel attractive reassured me that it wasn't just me who found his dark waves and piercing grey eyes attractive. Really attractive. I highly doubt that Adam had thought about Axel the way I had, however.

"Go away." I mumbled while shoving his shoulder, "He was obviously faded to try and go in there. I obviously sent him packing."

"He must be devastated he didn't get some of your hot ass." Adam teased, slapping my ass as I sat the tray down making me yelp. 

He had a habit of doing that to me, usually after practice.

I saw Axel sat with his group of friends in the corner of the cafeteria and his eyes met mine, sending me a wink. My heart thudded and I quickly turned to catch up with Adam. He shouldn't be able to do that to me with just a wink, but I wasn't trying to fight the feeling. 

I welcomed it.