4 ; songs of courting

The banquet hall was busy for breakfast. It wasn't this packed normally, and Aladin really wondered why. The extravagant food was still there, yes, but it was not like that has been a new addition. There was nothing new.

"Hello." Aladin looks up from his foods. He raises his eyebrows to see Florante there, his hair wet and his cheeks pink. Fresh from a jog, it seems.

"Yes?" He can't help but blush when Florante slides into the seat next to him. He was still sitting alone in his usual table, and so many people turned to look at them both curiously.

Oh.

That was what's new.

Florante never ate in the Banquet Hall. He said he very much preferred the comfort of the kitchens or the small little dining area in his room.

Everyone found out that the son of Duke Briseo himself would be eating here, and now everyone wanted a glance. Aladin could understand that, but that did not mean he liked it.

"We will always eat together now, sorry." Florante steals a berry from Aladin's plate, but he doesn't try to stop him. "I like trailing you around."

Aladin caught himself smiling. "Why?" he mused.

Florante was grinning right back at him. He pushed Aladin's hair back in the way he did, tucking it behind his ear. He was such a touchy boy. "I want to."

He tilted his head to the right, mimicking Florante's habit. "Why?"

"Must there be a reason for everything?" he groaned playfully. He pinched Aladin's cheek, and now everyone in the banquet hall was looking at them. But Aladin didn't care. What he did care about was two of Florante's hands—one on his cheek and the other on his knee.

By this point, Aladin was worried if he would be caught swooning like a fool.

"It gives meaning to our lives," he chided softly.

"But what is the definition of everything?" Florante teased back. "It is too broad of a topic." He withdrew his hand. But Aladin did not mind so much because he was still looking at him in that way. The look that made him feel special.

"Try me."

"Why does the sun rise?"

"To start a new day."

"What is the definition of a day if there is no sun?"

"Night."

"Why must time exist?"

Aladin thought about that, but only briefly. Because the answer was on top the tip of his tongue. "So we can remember moments like this. Time helps."

Florante rolled his eyes. But he winked when he caught Aladin staring.

Cheeky Golden Boy.

Ugh.

"You avoid the first question," Aladin reminded. "You do not have to pity me. You may sit with your other friends."

"You are my friend."

"Florante."

He smiled. "I do not pity you. I want to sit here."

"Why?"

"Here we go again."

Aladin shoved him gently.

~

Aladin did not trust his capability to write songs. But Florante know accompanied him everywhere he went, and that meant the music room as well. With his lyrical talent and Aladin's thing with melodies, it was a good team.