11 ; ang pamamaalam ni florante

(("florante's goodbye"))

125
"Nang matumbasan ko ang luha, ang sakit
nitong pagkalimot ng tunay kong ibig,
huwag yaring buhay ang siyang itangis
kundi ang pagsintang lubos na naamis."

~

Duke Briseo stared at the letter his son left.

If only he could let him be.

If only he could let his little boy love freely. If only he could tear him away from the duties of Duke. If only he could hide him far away with Aladin.

Briseo despaired even further when he read the letter.

He was so in love.

His Florante had found love. The love of his life and of all the other things. And this love was a boy—but who was Briseo to judge? Who was Briseo to question him? Who was he to wonder? Florante was a beautiful boy, his heart practically gold. . . .

Briseo trusted his judgement.

Trusted the heart he raised.

Trusted his son.

Son.

The son he would be sending to Athens without a word. The son he would not see for years on end, who's only presence starting today would be the letters and his wonderful words.

Briseo rubbed his eyes.

Someone was knocking at his door.

At this hour.

Curious, he stood and hid the letter underneath paperwork. Florante's final words would be delivered no matter what it took.

He rose to open the door. And when he did, he scowled.

"Sultan Ali-Adab," Briseo greeted grimly. "What are you doing here?

This man was the root of all the problems of Persia.

This man.

This man was the reason he did not have his son by his side. This man.

You are the filth of the Earth.

"I have seen Florante on his way," Sultan said with a peace in his voice.

Briseo has been to many wars, he has seen many things, he has fought many villains. But this was the first time in decades he felt a singing in his blood at the age of forty five. At the age of rest—he wanted to smash Ali-Adab's face and make him yell.

"So you have," Briseo muttered.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes."

"I understand that, ah, it is difficult." He tilted his head to the right. Briseo wanted to cut his head off.

That was the movement of his son. Of his beloved Florante.

The King of Persia was mocking him.