10 ; silent goodbyes

"Florante. I have heard things."

Florante wasn't one to be called by his Papa often. When he was summoned, it was to catch up on things because he was so busy as Duke, closest friend of the King. Both of them were to ade stories of love and life and laughs. And his Papa knew a lot about Aladin.

But right now Florante was unnerved by his seriousness, stormy eyes, and careful composure.

Florante knew what this was about.

"Oh?" he began, feigning innocence.

"Yes," Papa said. It was noontime, and Florante was first out in the nearby rivers with Aladin for a summer swim. It was beautiful weather in Albania, after all! Such perfect timing for them to be together at last! "Aladin."

"What about him?"

He rubbed his eyes. "Florante, you must know what I am talking about."

Florante readied himself for the harsh words to be said. "Yes."

He shook his head in disapproval. "Flo, I love you. But . . . really?"

The look of disappointment made Florante fiddle with his fingers. "You said I could love anyone I wished to love," he said delicately. "Remember, Papa? I was nine."

His Papa was stony-faced. Now Florante was really nervous.

"I meant a lady, Florante."

That felt like a slap to the face.

"But Aladin—"

"I meant a lady, Florante!" he repeated with a boom. Florante winced. "A lady! A woman! Someone like your mother!" Flo never saw his Papa angered by something he has done. Not to this extent. Not like this.

Florante picked at his nails.

Papa restrained himself, it seemed. He breathed in. "Flo, you understand this is wrong, yes? The Bible. You have read it, surely."

He refused to look at him. Yes, Florante has read it over and over again. But this thing he has for Aladin . . . it is not lust. He has never lusted for him. He has never wanted to have his legs spread and open. Not intentionally. Not when he was himself and not in the fuzzy faze of young boy tendencies.

Florante just wanted Aladin.

He just wanted him to love him back.

How was that so hard to understand? So what if they were both boys? So what if they had the same parts?

So what?

"I love you, son," his Dad said finally. "You understand at least . . . that?"

"I do," Florante said.

"I would let you love who you wish. I would give you my blessing." His Dad cast his eyes down, and it was the first time he has seen him so vulnerable. Florante felt hopeful. "But you have duties as Albania's future general, Florante."

His heart sank.

"King Linceo has heard," his Dad continued. And now Florante was sure he was sad as well. It was said in his voice and in his eyes and straight to the heart.