Chapter Twenty Eight

It's 12:00 o'clock, midnight, it showed on the home screen of my phone. I unlocked my phone, and went to view my messages. I kept on re-reading the message Adil sent me. A constant reminder I broke someone's hope and trust, now I can't even close my eyes. That's not the only reason I am not able to sleep, I am on Ahmed's bed. He suggested I sleep in the same room as him, so I don't hurt myself again.
Well I am going to take that as a sign of concern.

The doctor came and she examined my foot, she said it would take about five or nine days for my ankle to heal, as it wasn't that severe. She bandaged my foot and elevated it with a pillow. She advised me to not walk a lot, that means bed rest. The doctor wrote a prescription for some ointments. Ointments Ahmed said, he'll send the driver to get tomorrow morning.

I looked at Ahmed, who was sleeping uncomfortably on the sofa. He does tussle at times, Ahmed could fall off the sofa. I don't think I will fall asleep any time soon, he should have proper rest on his bed. "Ahmed!" I yelled. I don't think he can hear me, he looks like he's fast asleep. "Ahmed!" I called out his name again. As I was trying to get out of bed, he wakes up and sits upright on the sofa. Stretching his arms, and after that tousles his hair, that didn't look untidy at all. Mine usually looks like bird-nest, I can't say I am not a bit jealous.

"Yeah." He stands up and walks towards me. He wore a white t-shirt that fit perfectly on him and black fleece joggers. "Everything alright?" He spoke, his voice raspier and resonant.

"Uh yeah," I replied. The bed lamp was switched on, he walked while rubbing his eye. I couldn't stop looking at him. Which I know is wrong, in a way. But he looks so, so different. I mean like in a good-looking type of way. Not that he isn't, but... yeah. I should stop staring before he notices. I am sure I will never hear the end of it.

"Then why did you wake me up?" he asked, in a guttural tone.

"Um well I can sleep on the sofa. You looked uncomfortable sleeping there and I am not sleepy, so I thought we could switch..." he interjected.

"I am fine on the sofa."

"You can sleep on the bed," I insisted.

"Fine, but you can't sleep on the sofa. It's uncomfortable, your ankle needs to heal not get worse," he spoke, and walked over to the other side of the bed. Ahmed slept on the bed.

"This is not what I meant. It's just that..." I tried to explain. I stopped talking once I realized I am on the same bed as him. It became really hard to focus, or even breath. I felt like my heart would jump out of my chest at any moment. Even though it's a big bed, and he was sleeping at the edge of it.

"Here." Ahmed kept a pillow between us, the middle of the bed. "You stay on your side, I'll stay on mine," he said and turned the other direction.

"Still not what I was implying. I guess the barrier can do," I said. He didn't reply, he must be really sleepy.

I stared at the ceiling and drifted away with my thoughts. I had no intention of falling asleep. I didn't know what to do, wondering if Adil will ever forgive me. "Can you stop sighing," Ahmed said abruptly.

"Sorry," I apologized. I thought he was already asleep. "What's your favorite joke?" I asked him. "Mine is: What do you call a large dog that meditates? Aware wolf," I said and giggled.

"I don't do jokes," he replied, his back still facing me.

"Okay," I replied.

"You can't sleep can you?" He spoke.

"Nope."

"Something's bothering you..."

"No I am fine," I tried to hide the truth, but my low tone and sighs already gave it away.