Chapter Six

"Can you try holding your breath," I instructed Rayana, as I held the zip of her dress, trying with all my might to close the zip. It was half way through, we've spent the last ten minutes unzipping and zipping the dress.

"I have already tried that! This can't be happening. I tried it on last week and it was okay. It's all those I miss you chocolates Murat sent me. I knew I shouldn't have eaten them. I feel like crying, but I can't ruin my make up," She frantically spoke, her voice so shrill.

"Rayana please relax. It's not the chocolate, it is the zip of the dress. The zip is the problem, and I will fix it. Just try to relax and hold your breath and don't stress. Okay?" I tried to calm her down, even though deep down I was freaking out too. I mean if this zip never closes... we don't have a back up. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts... Okay I can do this. 

"Okay," She replied and nodded her head. She postures herself in an upright position, held in her breath for and held her hair upwards. I tried undoing the zip and zipping it up on - for the seventh time. Only this time, the zip swiftly closes - Rayana and I both breathed a sigh of relief. She lets down her hair and turns around to look at me in her stunning, shimmering  and breathtaking evening gown. She twirled around like a princess, and carefully caresses the tiny diamond encrusted stones on her dress.

"You look like a queen," I said. "Now with your make up and hair done, it just looks perfect. You look perfect." I said and smiled. "You look so beautiful Mashallah. I can't wait to see you on your wedding day."

"Thank you Amal for your kind and obviously exaggerated compliments. You are the reason I have a big head. I am looking forward to the big day as well," She spoke, her eyes glinting with joy and her smile so wide and bright. Rayana got her teeth whitened so, her smile does really like bright. "My wedding dress is arriving next week and now I am a agitated. From today's momentarily crisis- it can't happen again. So I won't be eating. No more calories," her tone shifts, to grave.

"You are welcome. I am so not the reason you have a big head, that's obviously Murats doing. And you have nothing to be worried about because it will all fall into place, Insha allah. Not on my watch you won't, I won't let you starve yourself. As your maid of honor I forbid it. Murat will surely be angry at me for letting his wife become sick and weak," I said and walked towards her to help her fix the tail of her dress. Rayana hugged me and thanked me endlessly.

"Thanks for being the best human ever!" She let go of me. "You look beautiful as well Amal and thank you for letting me style your look today." We spent a long period deciding on what would look nice on me, and we came to a conclusion. Once I tried the twentieth dress, a nude in color simple silk dress with long sleeves. It was an apt fit.

"Always here for you. Thank you. I didn't want to get lectured but I am glad we choose the dress together," I told her. "Now are you ready? I have been informed that the guests have arrived and are waiting for her royal highness," I said and laughed.

We made our way to the gardens of the hotel, where the bridal shower was being held. It was at night, the lobby wasn't as filled with people contrary to day time. Before we left, we did last minute make up touches. I walked behind Rayana making sure the tail of her dress doesn't get caught in anything. The photographer, started taking pictures from the moment we left my place.

When we reached the huge white tent, shaped like a castle. We got to the entrance, and before she walked in I fixed her dress one last time. Rayana insisted I walk in with her, so I did, hand in hand, we walked in and at once everyone's head turned to look at her - Rayana's favorite song even started playing. Everything was going according to plan, alhamduliah. All guests started cheering, staring in awe of the beautiful bride to be and some even gasped in surprise. The tent was decorated all over with beautifully placed fresh pink & white flowers, pink fairy lights and other props that made it so lively and aesthetically pleasing. It was like walking into a forest from a fairytale story. Where everywhere you looked, it's just bliss.

Some of the guests, which most of them were our cousins approached Rayana and started making conversations with her, complimenting how pretty she looks and questioning where she got her dress and who had done her make up. We stopped walking once we got to of the dance floor, I let go of her arm and moved aside. Letting her have her moment. I greeted some of my cousins and conversed with them as well. When they started dancing to the Arabic music, I decided to get a drink. I don't know how to dance and I wasn't planning on embarrassing myself today.

I sat at one of the tables and drank apple juice. Admiring the details that was put into the setting on the table, the floral arrangement on the table, pink napkins that were printed with Rayana and Murats name, a cupcake stand for each table and the dessert tray filled with all types of chocolate and sweets - it was all there, everything Rayana imagined.

"Excuse me," I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around, to see a woman smiling at me.

"Uh yes," I spoke, confused and surprised.

"My name Zara," She introduced her self.

"I am sorry. Have we met?" I said, and stood up from my seat.

"No we haven't. I am your cousin, far related, but still cousins. I just met with Rayana a week ago. I am Adel's daughter," She explained her self, and spoke in a cheery tone.

"I haven't heard of... I am sorry... but," I spoke unsure, she cut me off before I could find a polite way to say I hadn't heard of her father.

"Don't apologize please. There's nothing to be sorry for. I didn't even know you existed until today. Rayana pointed at you and said that you'd make great company,"

"I am not great, but not bad either. You'll be the judge of that I suppose," I told her and smiled. "Well it's nice to meet you."

"Likewise." She sat on the seat next to me and we got to know each other. Zara and I talked about a lot of things. But I found her life story the most captivating, she's a teacher, lives in Pakistan along with her mother's side of the family. She's even worked for an NGO ( Non profit organization) that worked to supply medical treatment and food to poverty stricken countries, she even offered her services as a teacher and taught the children. I admired her for her bravery and kindness.

I didn't speak much on my life, I wouldn't want to sadden myself or her in a party. I didn't think it would be appropriate, so when telling her my story - I skimmed some details. Though I didn't get to say much, because it was time to take pictures so we headed over to the stage to pose for pictures with the bride to be. Rayana was gleaming, and I was happy for her.

Zara had to leave early, she didn't mention why just that she had to leave. But before she left she gave me her number and I gave her mine. I wondered how her father is related to mine, I don't recall my parents mentioning an uncle called Adel.