Chapter Twenty Five

Amal

"I don't want to talk about it," I said, pouring some tea into the cup.

"You haven't been the same since the engagement..." Imad said.

"Stop it. Stop this inquisition." I said and put the teapot on the counter and looked up to Imad to meet his curious, worried eyes.

"Listen Imad if I wanted to talk about it, I would," I said almost in tears, but I held them back, because I knew it would be give Imad a cause for concern.

"Is it Naveed?" He asked. I looked at him again.

"Imad!" I yelled his name.

"Okay okay. I am sorry." He said and took a step back.

"What's going on here?" Both of us avert our attention to the door to see my dad standing.

"Nothing," Imad immediately replied.

"Amal follow me." He instructed and walked  away. I left the kitchen and followed my father, walked behind him towards the garden. He walked into the dome-shaped garden pavilion. He sat down on the sofa and I sat next to him. My father likes to spend his time in the pavilion, actually loves it. He enjoys the peace and quiet. Most of his books are stacked on each other on the coffee table, and the other half are in his office waiting to be read. He put his cane beside him and turned to look at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, three simple words, placed together to instantly put me in tears. I wiped away my tears whenever they would fall. He placed his arm on my shoulder and pulled me close to him, hugged me and consoled me. I didn't even know why I was crying, I just was. Or maybe I knew exactly why but I didn't want to allow myself to believe it, because I simply didn't want it to be true. Not a word I could say to convince myself to stop crying. Nothing came to mind. "It's going to be okay," He said.

"What would Layla do." He wondered aloud. "She would probably give a good speech about life, and God's plan." I stopped sobbing and rested in his arms, it felt safe and familiar. I felt like nothing could harm me when I am with my father. "I remember a long time ago, when your mother and I traveled to Dubai. My sister, your Aunty Sarah had come to visit, at the time we were not in good terms. Your mother saw how displaced I was when she was there, she tried to console me once my sister left and I snapped at her. Said words that were so harsh and bitter, I regret them to this day. She forgave me later nonetheless, loved me unconditionally..."

"Dad, why are you telling me this story?" I asked.

"So you can learn from my mistake. To not push away those who care for you and want only good for you, to not push away a good thing even when you are scared of it," He spoke in a modulating tone.

"I can't force something that isn't there," I uttered unexpectedly in a low tone, my heart discreetly confessing its deepest desire. My words then resonated in my mind, finally a reason slowly started to formulate and slowly I understand my tears.

"You are right Amal, you can't. But when you want something to exist you pray for it and work for it. You do everything in your power to attain and retain it - if you want it," He said and kissed my forehead. "But it's not easy because somethings we want aren't meant for us, but you'll never know if you don't try."

"I missed you, dad," I said and sat upright, breaking from his embrace.

"I missed you too." He replied.

Me: Hi
I am sorry for acting the way I did before you left.

1 hour later

Naveed: Hey. Apology accepted