Hot Seat

I watched in disbelief as Elenore dragged one of our dining chairs into the middle of the lounge. When she was satisfied with its positioning, she dragged me onto it and thrust a glass of white wine into my left hand. With candles surrounding the room instead of the overhead light and Nola tucked up asleep in bed, I felt as though I was on a game show. Elenore sat directly opposite me on the sofa, her own glass of wine placed between two of her fingers. She wore a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Consider this me interrogating you." She smirked at me. She'd found me slumped against the front door moments after Harry had left the flat, shaking my head repeatedly and dragging my fingers through my hair. I hadn't had to explain anything because she'd already known. She'd known for weeks. Longer than me. It was frustrating.

I watched her from my seat like a rabbit in the headlights. Harry would be on stage now, also centre of attention, but at least he would be enjoying himself. I brought my fingers up to my face and brushed one of the tips across my cheek bone where he had kissed me. It had been strange. It hadn't felt like a standard parting kiss. I was sure there was something more behind it, but perhaps that was just wishful thinking. My hand froze as I realised.

I was just as bad as one of his fans. Oh God.

"Stop fiddling with your face and pay attention." Elenore scolded me.

"What exactly am I supposed to be paying attention to?" I frowned, taking a gulp of my wine and flushing as it warmed my insides. Elenore took a tentative sip of hers and reclined back on the sofa, twirling a strand of her hair around a finger.

"My questions." She smiled wickedly and licked her lips.

"Oh joy." I groaned, taking another gulp for good measure. Dutch courage would get me through whatever she'd planned.

"Stop being a drama queen." She rolled her eyes.

"Get on with it then!" I retorted, cutting through her cool stance. Elenore sat up straight and stared right at me.

"Do you have feelings for Harry?"

My mouth went dry and I looked down at my glass. Did I? Didn't I? It was a mystery to myself let alone anyone else. I knew I felt something but what was it? It could have just simply stemmed from his relationship with our daughter. Maybe I was just attracted to the fact that he was good with children?

"Earth to Marnie?" Elenore waved her free hand in front of my face while I pondered over her interrogative.

"I don't know." I sighed. She raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"You don't know? It certainly looks like you do, I mean you put a bra on under your pyjamas."

"Oh stop bringing that up." I grumbled. She hadn't let me forget about my 'perky pjs'. I didn't see what the big deal was personally, just because she had no shame.

"Ok then, how would you feel if Harry got a girlfriend?" Her eyes bore into mine and I felt my heart drop to my stomach. Images of Harry and other girls swirled around my head, their relationships rubbed in my face as the media documented every precious moment.

"Or what about when he gets married and Nola has a step-mum?" I squeezed my eyes shut as I imagined dropping Nola at his house and being greeted by another woman, the band on her wedding finger glistening as she rubbed her swollen stomach, gushing about Nola's soon to be sibling. I felt bile rise in my throat as a surge of jealousy wrestled with my insides. I didn't want Nola to have another mum. I didn't want anyone else to be in the equation. Despite the complexity of it all, I liked things the way they were. I didn't want anyone else to be with Harry.