Not Cut Out For You

It was humiliating. So humiliating. 

I'd tried to stand my ground, but Harry wasn't having any of it. My refusal to leave the car once we'd pulled up outside the nearest hospital had resulted in him lifting me from the vehicle and carrying me into A&E. It hadn't helped that patients in the waiting room were attempting to slyly take photos of him, meaning that I was unfortunately going to star in them too. 

"Please put me down." I grumbled at him as he approached the front desk. His face was set in a stubborn frown, refusing to make eye contact with me. 

"No." He said simply. "Do you really think I would be stupid enough to put you down so you can run off? Not bloody likely." I scowled at him in response, squeezing my eyes shut and pretending that none of this was happening. It was bad enough that Harry had carried me in here in the first place, but now people were documenting it. Elenore was going to find out on Twitter before I even had the chance to tell her myself. 

I ignored Harry as he told the lady at the front desk why we were here. She handed him some forms and directed him to a seat in the waiting room, promising that we'd be seen as soon as possible. It didn't matter though, I knew we'd be here for hours, it was just common knowledge when it came to A&E. i was relieved when Harry eventually lowered me down into a blue upholstered seat. 

"Finally." I muttered under my breath, pulling my arms up and crossing them against my chest. 

"Oh, stop sulking." He rolled his eyes. "You're being ridiculous, Marnie. I'm doing this for your own good, ok?" 

"No, you're doing this against my own will." I retorted, glaring at him. The lady in the seat beside me coughed awkwardly and raised her magazine a little higher up her face. Harry leant over and took my hands in his.

"I'm worried." He said softly. "This is the second time now."

"Well maybe if you hadn't disappeared off with Caroline." I withrew my hands and huffed. Harry's lips twitched into a smirk.

"Is this what this is about?" He sniggered. "Are you jealous?" 

"Just stop it." I snapped. "Please, just don't." Hurt passed over his features momentarily but he didn't press the subject any further. Harry wasn't the only one worried about the attacks. I was too. I'd never had them until recently and they made me miserable. They made me feel like I was never going to be able to breathe again. I took the forms and pen from his lap and began filling them out before returning them to the lady at the front desk. 

We spent the rest of the waiting time in silence, watching as others were called in. I didn't really feel like my problem entitled me to be here. There were people with their bones sticking out at funny angles, others with deep gashes on their foreheads and some bent over clutching their sides in pain. Physically I was fine. Mentally I was a mess. 

"Marnie Owens." A voice called my name and I looked up to the friendly face of a female nurse. She beckoned me forward and I stood up, surprised when Harry's fingers entwined with my own. He gave me a small smile before towing me towards the nurse, the hurt from before still evident in his eyes. I wanted to see his dimpled grin, see his pale green eyes twinkle and hear him tell me that everything was going to be ok, but he seemed dejected and I couldn't help wondering if my over analysing had screwed everything up. We followed the nurse into a consultation room and she gestured for me to sit on the bed. Harry dropped my hand and I sighed before doing as I was instructed. It just felt like there was an elephant in the room now. The tension was buzzing. The nurse scanned my paperwork briefly before doing a double take at Harry hovering in the corner.

"Oh wow. Harry Styles? My daughter is your biggest fan." Harry chuckled under his breath. 

"Tell her I said hello and thanks." He was so good at pleasing his fans, it was almost like an art.