Recoil

*HARRY'S POV*

Marnie recoiled from me, throwing her hands over her mouth as if she'd just  caught herself making a terrible mistake. I felt my heart falter and my lips slip into a pout. It hurt.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise." Liam stammered, hovering awkwardly behind us. Marnie lifted her eyes to meet mine and her cheeks flushed a furious scarlet. The tears that had dried up suddenly resurfaced, glistening under the bright lights that reflected from the corridor behind Liam. I was about to reach forward and trap them before they fell, but she leapt up off the step.

"I'm going to find Nola and Elenore." She mumbled before darting past Liam and disappearing. I couldn't help but feel somewhat angry. I'd just put myself out there, poured my heart out and declared my feelings for her, and yet she continued to be cagey with me and treat me like the one night stand I'd originally just been. I knew Marnie had family issues and I knew she was insecure, but I failed to understand why she wouldn't let me in. I just felt permanently useless.

I didn't want to just be Nola's father. I wanted to be there for her too, only she wouldn't let me.

"Well that was awkward." Liam said suddenly, sitting down beside me where Marnie had been only moments before. "I didn't mean to interrupt whatever that was. I am sorry."

"It's fine." I sighed, running a hand through my hair, although it really wasn't. She'd been so close to opening up to me properly. So close that I could almost quite literally taste her. But Liam had ruined it. Of course Marnie had told me things; she'd told me about her parents and she'd finally admitted what she was so scared of when it came to our daughter and my fans, but she still seemed so guarded. I hated it.

Liam shifted uncomfortably beside me. "She wasn't a fan of your grand plan then?" I felt myself scrunch up with irritation.

"Apparently not." I replied bluntly, continuing to stare into the space of the carpark.

"Why didn't you tell her, mate?" He asked in a disapproving tone.

"She'd have never let me get Nola anywhere near the stage if she'd known. I wouldn't have been able to do it." I didn't understand why everyone kept asking me the same stupid question when the answer was blatantly obvious. Lou had grabbed me the minute I'd hit the corridor and scolded me for being so 'stupid'. She hadn't understood either, she'd said Marnie would never trust me again. I'd ignored her and headed outside instead.

"The fans have already posted pictures of Nola online." I snapped my head up, finally interested.

"What are they saying?" The cold air swarmed around the two of us and we shivered.

"It's positive stuff." He told me. "So far they seem pretty supportive." I felt a smirk creep across of my face.

"I knew it would work." I wished Marnie had been here to discover how successful I'd been.

"That's not really the point, Harry." Liam sighed. "You still went behind her back. If you keep doing things like this then she's not going to hang around forever."

I turned on him then, my jaw dropping open and my eyes narrowing. "Excuse me? What right do you have to say something like that?" Liam flinched at my venomous tone.

"Elenore was in there going absolutely ape shit. I don't know how she got from her seat to backstage in 0.8 seconds, but she did. And she was fucking furious! She was yelling at Zayn and getting in his face, even Niall copped at earful. She reckons this'll be the last straw for Marnie, she's not a pushover like you think she is." I swear I wanted to hit him. He didn't know anything about Marnie. He didn't know anything about my girls or our situation. I wasn't the dick he was making me out to be either. Sometimes Liam really thought he knew best. I hated it.