5

five

"Come out!" Macia called from the hallway. I was trying on a dress Macia wanted me to wear, it was long and pale, a nice pink colour.

She told me it was her absolute favourite, one of her best designs. She admitted that it was supposed to be someone else's dress, but she loved the thought of it on me.

"Let me see!" She called again, "Don't keep me waiting, Amoret!"

"I'm coming," I answered, slipping through the doorway of the room I would be staying in.

"Parfait, juste parfait!" She smiled, "I love it on you!"

"Thank you," I blushed, "I really like it."

"I do too. Malheureusement, it is too fancy to wear out and about. We need to send you to a party in that," Macia sighed, quickly fixing the flowy ruffles on the dress.

"I've never been to a party," I admitted, twirling around in front of the long mirror she had set up for me.

"Oh, don't you worry! You will attend many with me! I still can't believe your mother had you locked up in the basement, she's my best friend but I could never understand why she would do such a thing!"

"Mama said it was too dangerous for me," I told her.

"Mensonges! The world is a beautiful place, Amoret. Your mother had no right to hide you from her own fears-" Macia grabbed my face between her hands, "-remember that."

Macia smiled to show off a gap in her teeth, "I'll remember, Macia, thank you," I replied.

"Good!" Macia laughed. Hands on her hips as she mumbled to herself, "Now, where is that boy?"

As if on que, Henrik came running in with an armful of clothes, "Here, I got everything you asked for."

Macia pointed to the bed in my room, Henrik nodded and sauntered in. He threw the pile of clothes on my bed and turned on his heels, smiling at us

"Thank you for the clothes, Macia," I said, "I greatly appreciate it."

"My best friend's baby is my baby," Macia cooed, "besides, what kind of seamstress would I be if I didn't have thousands of spares."

"Thousands sounds a bit much, don't you think, mom?" Henrik spoke up.

"Oh, stop it, you!" Macia pointed to Henrik, "I can say whatever I want!"

Henrik only laughed, Macia joined in, and I was able to see how much they looked alike. Henrik had the same black hair but it wasn't as curly, it had volume but definitely not curly. While Henrik had blue eyes, Macia had grey. They both were tall, although everyone I seen was taller than me. Henrik had high cheekbones and a straight nose but Macia didn't.

Seeing the similarities and differences between them made me wonder about who his father was and why he wasn't there.

I shook my head. Mama always said staring is rude. "Macia?"

She turned to look at me after talking with Henrik while I was in my own world, "Yes?"

"Do you think I could sleep now?" I asked her. "I didn't sleep on the trip here."

"Oh, yes! Of course, here!" She moved out of my way, pushing Henrik out as well. "Have a good sleep, Amoret. I'll make Henrik take you out in the morning. Bonne nuit."

"Thank you," I yawned, "Bonne nuit."

"Ah, I knew you could speak French," Macia smiled, "I knew your mother would teach you."