20

twenty

"What do we do?" Asked a panicked Flynn who looked at Andrew with wide eyes. Flynn inched closer to me, almost standing in front of me to the point where most of my sight was on his back, doing it as if he was afraid something would jump out and attack us at any given moment.

Andrew's eyes glossed over, a white sheen lightening his brown eyes for just a second, it left as soon as it came. "Jack says to meet him at the north side of the border."

I watched, shaking, as Rhett and Andrew emerged from the water. Both of them quickly getting dressed and heading towards their destination, Jordan behind us with a hard look in his eyes and Flynn holding onto my arm in a way that I knew it was bruising.

"Flynn," I whimpered, scared and in pain, as he continued to drag me next to him, "what is happening?"

Flynn shushed me, dipping his head down to be next to mine as he spoke lowly, "Our pack is being attacked by another one."

"Where are we going?" I whispered, looking up at him, "Who's attacking? Are we in danger?"

He shushed me again, his facial expressions darkening, before quietly answering with a clipped, "Just keep moving, the border is just up here."

I stayed close to Flynn's side as we all walked, the silence irking me as every bad thought came to mind.

The werewolves attacking, are they killers just like Mama always said?

As we got farther away from where we originally were, I noticed how at one point Flynn tilted his head up slightly, just like a wolf would do, his nostrils flaring and his eyes closed before he turned his head to the side. "Jack," he whispered fondly, hopeful.

Andrew spoke up, "He's near."

The rustle of leaves made me turn to see where the noise was coming from, the trees moving to make room as a wolf flew from the woods and landed on his four paws gracefully but in a stance that showed he was a proper warrior, right in front of us. Andrew smiled at the sight of him, even Flynn let out a sigh of relief as he let go of me to take a step closer to the wolf.

"Jack," Flynn started, "how bad is it?"

The wolf made no sound, just tilted his head to the side to reveal a wound on his neck, teeth marks that were not very deep into his skin, but there was sickening claw marks all over his body that made me cover my mouth and nose from the disgusting smell, metallic and strong.

Andrew stepped up, standing closer as he asked, "How do we avoid it?"

The wolf stood up taller and nodded towards the area he came from, a sour look crossed Andrew's face at the answer he was given, obviously not liking it as he frowned and cursed underneath his breath. "Straight through the open field," Andrew muttered bitterly.

"What does that mean?" Flynn asked.

"The only way out is to go through the attack, Flynn, to move Amoret through the wolves," Andrew answered with his head lowered towards the ground.

"We can't do that, we have to find another way," Flynn pleaded and glanced towards me, a helpless expression on his face. "She'll get ripped apart out there."