33

thirty three

"Do you think that Luna Rose knows we're here?" I asked sadly, pressing my tiny hands against the cold ground.

"She knows I'm here," Wyatt answered with a sigh. "She might know you're here, but I don't know for sure."

"Well, Kaius will be coming for me soon," I told him and promised myself, "I'm sure of it, whether she knows I'm here or not."

"Kaius, Kaius, Kaius," he clicked his tongue before realization seemed to dawn on him, "wait, do you mean the Alpha Kaius?"

"Yes," I let out a sigh much like his own, instantly knowing that he was definitely talking about my Kaius, who else could he mean? My eyebrows furrowed as I prepared myself for whatever Wyatt had to tell me about Kaius, so adding to it truthfully I said, "I don't know what to do about him."

"I've never met him," Wyatt said, "but I've heard stories, and when Rose started dating Kendrick she started attending those parties, and she would always tell me how exquisite and beautiful everything was-"

"It was very nice," I interrupted, brushing down at my dirt stained dress as I remembered the gown I was wearing that night.

"I'm sure it was," he hummed, "but that's the thing actually, Rose was always very confused on why Alpha Kaius never went to one. Then one day Kendrick wanted to visit him, so he took Rose along, and she told me about how Alpha Kaius barely gave them a greeting, he actually slammed the door right in their face," Wyatt started laughing, wheezing and coughing as he did so.

"What's so funny about that?" I asked him, looking over in his direction to only see darkness and the outline of his incredibly thin face.

"Because at the time, I, well, pretty much everyone thought that Alpha Kaius was this terrible man, so I thought he was being rude, but in reality it was just because he didn't like Kendrick, and now I'm sitting in a cell completely agreeing with the man," he answered, "I mean, I don't know why Alpha Kaius doesn't like him, but now I don't know how anyone can like Kendrick in the first place."

I thought about it, "I didn't like him when I first seen him, but when everyone was celebrating at the party he didn't seem that bad, but instead he seemed, well, acted like a decent person."

"Looks aren't everything," Wyatt muttered, "you never know what could be going on."

"You're right," I whispered.

Mama and Papa always looked perfect.

The door slowly creaked open, light shining teasingly through the crack as I blinked my droopy eyes. Quickly realizing what was happening and without meaning to, I had already started shaking the body next to me, while Wyatt continued snoring as he slept peacefully, he was clearly way too used to these horrible arrangements.

"Wyatt," I whispered and shook his body, getting rougher as it didn't seem to be working at all, "wake up, please, wake up, wake up, wake up."

I felt him roll over next to my shaking body, his back facing me as I continued to pull at his noticeably ripped up clothes, pushing him around at the same time as fear seemed to start leading the way.