14: Surprise!

I was brushing out the mares as foals ran ramped. They were frolicking, wild and crazy. It hasn't rained in a week which I'm happy for. A dry line moved in hoping to dry everything out. The twins will be here in a few minutes after going to a rodeo. If I remember, Grandpa did say something about them asking him if they both could date me.

Apparently he's known about that lifestyle for a while and knows how less stressful it is. I went on to the next mare. I gave her belly a good brushing knowing she was nearly two weeks late to birth her foal. I felt along her belly feeling kicks and her contracting it. Easy mama. She snorted before shaking her head and stopping a back hoof. I continued to brush her belly. She laid down as if she was to sun.

Instead she was now in labor. I let her try her hardest first before pitching in to help her. The foal was in breech position. I definitely had to act fast. I grabbed my radio and sent a one word out. Knowing Grandpa he'll call the vet on this one if nothing is done now. I reached in making sure it was breeched realizing something quickly.

"Oh boy." I had to move another set of hooves away finding this was the back half of the first one. "Twin foals. One's breeched." I said over the radio. I stared by helping the mare with the first foal. Once it was out, the mare was nearly too tired. I patted her rump before helping her with the second one that wasn't breeched. Once the second was out, I checked both foals before the mare. I then got the mare's legs under her to try and get her to stand. I pulled some small carrots out of my front pocket letting her have them.

She stood up to take care of both babies. I helped both stand. Definitely going to have to help her with feedings. The vet and Grandpa came rushing out. "You look tired." The vet said. "Am. I feel like this mare." I said. "Which is the breech?" He asked. "Stripe there." I said pointing at the stripe faced foal. The other foal had a white face. "Breathings good, hips in place. Healthy colt here." The vet said before checking the other one. He checked the mare lastly.

"Did good Cam." Grandpa said. "Both are healthy colts without complications. Keep an eye on the mare though. Anything abnormal with her, call me right away." He said. "Will do." Grandpa said. "Glad you called me on emergency. The birth could have taken a terrible turn and could have lost all three, two or even one." The vet said. "Thanks for coming out. Same. We wouldn't of known what would have happened if Cam hadn't been out here brushing these fine girls." Grandpa said.

"Camellia." "There would be your brother." Grandpa said. "Fine sibling bonding time. We can get these little guys and their mother into an observation stall and run." I said. He scoffed. Axel came through the gate as I scratched the mare. I led her over to the trough. She drank greedily. I lifted her head to make sure she wasn't drinking too fast. "Anything I miss?" He asked. "Twin colts born." I said.

"Is that why the vet is here?" He asked. "Yeah. One was in breech position." I said. "Jeez. That's one of the worst ways to come out." He said. "Especially after we don't know how long she's been in labor." I said. "Least they're up on their legs." He said. I started leading the mare to one of the observation runs. "Putting them into observation?" He asked. "Yeah. To make sure nothing abnormal starts up with her." I said. He opened the gate up ahead of me.

"Both are in." He said. "Close it." I said. "Want me to go get the register?" He asked. "Yup. We need to send it in for these boys to be registered quarter horses." I said. "Alright." Least we're working together. I went to wash my hands and arms. Then went back to observe the foals. The mare sniffed me before lazily grazing on the grass inside the pen. I went over their breeding.

Sire: One Shot.
Dam: Sweet Dreams
Name of foal: Sweet Malt
Then wrote down key identification features, dark bay coat, four white socks, white face.

I then went to the second foal's and wrote down the breeding and birthday before going back to the other putting the same date. The name I chose for that one was Whiskey Shot. I then wrote down his identification features, whiskey chestnut coat, four stockings, white stripe. I had to also come up with names that went with their barn names. For Whiskey Shot, I chose, Sweet Whiskey Shot's Dream. Then for Sweet Malt, I chose, I chose One Sweet Malt Shot.

Best thing about twins is that you can use both parents' names in their show names. A whistle sounded through the barn. "In here." I said. Two sets of boots sounded off the concrete floor. Whiskey came up sniffing me. I brushed his soft muzzle with my index and middle finger. He sneezed. I scratched his neck in a certain place before he laid down to my right.

Just like when Rome would sit to my right. Malt came up to the left side and nudged my shoulder. Then laid down to my left. Just like Memphis. "Looks like your already taken Honey." Memphis said from the door. "Wanna meet them?" I asked. "Mare might get us." Rome said. "She won't bite." I said. Memphis was the first in. The mare let him come right up to her before he came over to me. "May I see the papers?" He asked.

I held them up. "One Sweet Malt Shot. Sweet Whiskey Shot's Dream. Makes me wanna put them both together to see how that would taste." He said. I shrugged a brow. "Not bad. I think these two will do good in the future." He said smiling.