Nicknames

Chapter 3

 I eventually found the councilor's office. When I walked in, there was a man with crazy hair and a stern look on his face that was traced with stubble. His hat was resting on his desk right next to where his boot-covered feet were. He was chewing out sunflower seeds and spitting them with excellent aim out the side of his mouth at the garbage bin a few feet away. He looked up at me. His face was bold and cold. His eyes were expressionless.

"Alright, there she is.” The guard grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the cowboy, Yep, he’s sexist… I told myself whilst shrugging off the guard’s hand. He sent me a death look.

“This is the right girl?” The cowboy spat the pod out and shoved in another.

 “Yeah…you’re still on them sunflower seeds?" The guard asked.

"Of course." the man said, as the guard shrugged and walked outside; the cowboy was still staring at me, "You're name is Kathlyn Barlow, right?" I nodded. “Follow me.” The cowboy got up, put his hat on and walked out the door. I followed. He entered another door that was just opposite the one I came out of. As I went inside he was talking to a buff black haired guy who gave him an orange heap and gave me a weird look. The cowboy swiveled around. He motioned with his hands to my backpack. I pulled it off my arm and handed it to him. He threw me two hideous orange jumpsuits that the boys outside were wearing a pair of dirty boots in return and handed my backpack to the black haired guy. When the guy held it in his hands he gave me a disgusting yellow-toothed grin. I flinched and turned away. "One is your work clothes; the other is your relaxation clothes. Every three days, your work clothes will be washed and you will wear your relaxation clothes as your work clothes. Got it?" The cowboy explained.

"Yes, Mr.…?" I didn’t know what to call him.

"You will call me Mr. Sir, nothing else. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Mr. S-Sir?" I tried to control myself from laughing.

"What’s so funny?” he looked at me with piercing eyes. I coughed and resumed my natural state; looking bored. “Your name is Barlow right?”

“Yes, Mr. Sir.”

“Barlow, hmmm…” he looked me up and down, “well Barlow get changed.”

"Should I, erm, with you in here?" I looked at the black haired guy and Mr. Sir.

“Oh, right… Buck get outta here,” he motioned the guy outside, “I'll leave you to it." Mr. Sir glanced at me strangely and then turned around, walked stiffly out the door and firmly slammed it shut. I clutched the orange rag until there was defiantly no one coming in. I quickly slipped off my shorts and put the jumpsuit on over my tank top. I tied the sleeves to my waist because the heat would be literally unbearable, if it wasn't already. I took off my sandals and put the boots on. I put my hair in a messy high bun. I gazed into the glass of one of the cabinets. Ew, ew, ew… I looked like an orange banana with its peel down and a head poking out the top. A loud knocking came from the door.

“Uh, you can come in now.” I said.

I turned around, as Mr. Sir followed by a beaming sunburned short man with a big hat and sunscreen down his nose walked in. They stood in the doorway as I came outside and walked back into Mr. Sir’s office with them. The short man was starting to creep me out with his big grin shining through a messy beard. 

“Kathlyn Barlow, this here is Mr. Pendanski. He will be your councilor for your time in Camp Green Lake.” Stated Mr. Sir as he slouched back in his chair. Mr. Pendanski came right up to me and firmly shook my hand. I practically bounced up and down.